Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why's that? I spose it's also the difference between running the ****** 87 and running 93, but I love the smell of premium out of a classic car.
100LL Avgas still has tetra-ethyl lead although they're working on eliminating it because flying doesn't cost enough already. Does not have Ethanol. Base-stock is of a better grade than the piss that gets "enhanced" with all sorts of additives, urinated out of a gas pump for automobiles. 100LL is not going to smell anything like modern "premium" gasoline.

When you spill pump gas on the tank of a bike, the stuff barely evaporates, leaves a slime trail like a snail went across the tank. 100LL evaporates fast and completely, leaving almost zero residue, and what tiny bit does remain is dry, not slimy.

In short, it's much closer to the fuel that went into car tanks in the '60s and even into the '70s.

No doubt the memorable smell is highly toxic.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On a feedback-fuel-injected engine, it's the NON-catalyst exhaust that smells nasty.

Although, 100LL Avgas in a non-catalyst system does bring back memories of the 1960s/1970s.
That is a thing. When you have worked with 100 LL, it does evaporate away faster than any auto fuel . And does not leave any obvious residue on your hands.
During the Reno Air Races , they had the fuel supplier mix 115/145 for use in the large engine and unlimited classes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
sometimes my ol engine likes a nice drink of ice water down it’s throat

I tried decarboning my Buick 350 with hose water about 30 years ago. I got tired of using the trigger on a squirt bottle and grabbed the hose with a spray nozzle on it. Thankfully I was careful enough not to hydro lock it.