Really wish ppl would stop bringing me trucks with hydraulic fluid in trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, it DOES apply. The assertion that the OP was really making, is that none of us are lube engineers (or engine, engineers), yet you got every Tom, Dick and Harry, telling themselves stories about how they've rationalized all manners of arbitrary concoctions as being a "solution" for their particular engine/trans -whatever....were there wasn't actually, a problem that needed solving. And this ain't limited to this here forum! It's on the 'Vette forums, EVERY forum...and it's in the OP's shop...I get it from mechanics in my own shop(s). That was the OP's original point, regardless of what examples he used, and I agree with that point.

Now, conversely, ALL (engine) oils today are better than good enough. I bet many of us have realized pretty astonishing engine life by doing good PM's, right? I sold a GMT400 with 300,000 miles that ran mint. The cab was rotted through above the windshield, repaired and rotting through again. 5th gear slid on the counter shaft and was rubbing the trans case. The 10 bolt had been replaced 4 times. So, what oil/brew/concoction should I have used, to get "better life" out of that truck? It doesn't matter. Use the bottle that appeals to your particular fancy, and then change it when it's time. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir on this second point.
I thought all this got started by hydraulic oil in a tranny. If the oil has the right properties for use in an automatic tranny then carry on.
It has to have the proper viscosity to flow properly.
It has to have the proper lubricity for the bearings.
It has to have anti-foaming additives to prevent air in the system.
It has to have additives to allow the clutches to hold.
It shouldn't have additives that will eat the seals.
It doesn't have to have red dye in it.
Did I miss anything?

If you think you need to use something different than actual tranny fluid then you better research it well or pay the price.

Personally I would put nothing but designated tranny fluid in my tranny because I am pretty sure it has all the right stuff in it. Good ol type A then Dexron,II,III has served me well for over 40yrs,no need to reinvent the wheel now.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As I mentioned working at UAL garage. Younger on ranch worked trucks and farm equipment. Never on any buses.
United has some employee parking lots a good walk away from Airport. So they run some shuttle buses back and forth. Older but well serviced. The first time I had to service one trans filters and fluid change. Our overhead reels with air, oil , water and grease, one reel set for two bays. Almost everything uses Quacker State 10-40. Guess what, the buses use the 10-40 in the transmissions. ' no way, really?" That was new one for me.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at an old Isuzu with a manual transmission and was surprised to hear that it uses motor oil, not gear oil. It's one of the mistakes that gets made, when taken in for work, to someone that assumes.
Manual tranny's aren't as picky about oil. I'm thinking you wouldn't want anything too slick for proper synchronizer ring function. Probably would be a good candidate for the 30w non-detergent. I have heard of aluminum trans cases being split by running too heavy an oil in them. The story is that the increased oil wedge spreads the gears apart and the pressure cracks the case.