RCX 2-3inch lift kit, worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOH CHO

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just checking out the RCX site and saw the 2-3inch kit with new upper control arms and shocks and keys etc. Does anyone have this kit in their own trucks? How it rides etc. I have 33s so I thought this could be a good route. I have been through the whole just get the 6inch and decrank to 4 but if im saving 400 bucks then why not.

http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_88-98_2-3.html

Cheers

Greg

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
the kit is really no better than just adding a block in the rear and cranking the factory keys. The kit pretty much does the same thing so it will be just as hard on the front end components. A 4 inch RCX is a drop kit and decrank to get 4 inch like I did and thats the best way to go imo! Dont waste your money on the 2-3 inch kit from rough country.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the kit is really no better than just adding a block in the rear and cranking the factory keys. The kit pretty much does the same thing so it will be just as hard on the front end components. A 4 inch RCX is a drop kit and decrank to get 4 inch like I did and thats the best way to go imo! Dont waste your money on the 2-3 inch kit from rough country.

X1 Save your money do it right

iEnding

Georgia Boy
Reaction score
Body lift!

Or be cool and go with 4" rcx... haha

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
my friend cranked his truck with ebay keys used bds shocks and the lower control arms and relatcatoin brakcets bought seperately from that kit. weve had to decrank his truck 4 times already, his old shocks would limit the amount of lift given and we never notcied we overtightened them alot.

its at the ride height he wants without minimizing on and offroaf comfort but for what he has into it all he could have a 6inch. so as everyone else said if you think youll ever want to go bigger then save up and do it right.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I have keys, my balljoints flipped and l have longer shocks. It rides horrible. No down travel. I ordered a 6" RCX yesterday for $935 shipped to my door from truckaddons.com Give them a call they'll give you a good price.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The stock adjusters have enough travel to bottom out the upper control arms on the hard stops on a gmt400.

Any kit advertising "keys" is best avoided as its more about grabbing your cash than giving you something that makes a difference.

They advertise them like this because the newer style trucks can use reindexed adjusters before bottoming out. The uninitiated don't usually know they aren't needed on a gmt400, but it sure makes the kit sound like all the rest on the market....

Pair of lift $20 rear lift blocks, nearly maxing out the upper control arms and an alignment will get the same results.

You will need an alignment because changing the ride height will change the camber. It will also effect the toe in.

It will ride rougher (or firmer if you prefer) due to the reduced leverage angle the lower arms will have on the bars.

Oh,one more thing you should know; you'll mess your shorts first time those upper control arms whack the stops on a decent sized bump at any appreciable speed....

Chuck on another 20 bucks to the total for new undies!

;)

Last edited:

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the control arms accually help with balljoint angles and the kit has diff drop brackets to help with CV angles. Basically do that and get a heim steering kit so you can flip the tierods and all of your angles are in check.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
the control arms accually help with balljoint angles and the kit has diff drop brackets to help with CV angles. Basically do that and get a heim steering kit so you can flip the tierods and all of your angles are in check.

Ah, didn't look at the kit.

If it includes drop brackets, that's a whole different ball 'o wax....