Rawhide and The Burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Your new truck has really set me to looking for a C3500 cclb, although this wouldn't be for me. My father is needing another truck for his landscaping business, as all he has now is a several year old Ram 1500, and it is clearly not up to the job. It keeps eating rear suspension components every year or two (coil sprung b.s.).
So I'm trying my darndest to bring him over to the light side and get him in a rugged, reliable and capable 400 3500.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
They're around, just gotta keep looking. I had a guy want to buy the truck Friday, but I told him,no, I had just got it and it wasn't for sale. We were both stopped at a train crossing in East Houston. He said he has a 1500, but needs a 3500. I didn't tell him how low the mileage was, that would have been twisting the knife....

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
This week has been eventful! Monday and Tuesday, Rawhide runs good (except for after he's been running a while and you have to stop at a light or in traffic ( he really doesn't like that!). The rough idle starts as a random misfire, then the longer you sit before moving,it gets gradually worse. It'll be doing the "ants in its pants" jumpy stuff if it's a long enough light or line at the drive thru.
But putting the transmission in Park , kicks the idle speed up a couple hundred revs, and it smooths out. I'm thinking maybe it's the distributor cap, since they're noted for misfire in that spot where the 2 cylinder contacts cross. I've looked at the plug wires and they don't look like they're touching each other.
Then Wednesday, picking up the last work visit for the front half of the week, across Houston from home, runs good all the way there, then, pulled into the parking lot... sort of steep driveway and a hard right to get into the lot. Truck goes into the turn, then gets slow, wheel gets hard to turn, and we hear a big hissing sound (like when the booster goes bad). Wtf!?
So we get it carefully into a parking spot, and start calling people. Road service can't haul it, it's too long for their flatbeds. A Burb barely fits em. So I called my friend, he can come get it in a couple hours. So we go in the store and start our work. Wrecker driver friend calls, he can move me up the line, he'll be there in an hour. He started the truck, no funny noise, steering wheel moves fine, but we've contracted for the tow so off he goes, to the shop. Shop guys all test drove it, Wednesday and Thursday, no problems. "What'd you have it towed for?"
So we picked it up, drove it some more Thursday, even steep driveways. No problems!
Then... yesterday morning (Friday), going across to the other side of Houston,to meet with a supervisor,and we're already running late.... stopped at a quicky mart/truck stop about halfway there. Pulled in the lot... same thing as Wednesday. Very slow,stiff steering, hissing sound. Get it across the lot, to the truck parking. No leaks in the hydro boost system. Checked the transmission fluid....which no one including me, thought of before....and the stick is dry! So I got the opened quart of fluid that came with the truck, and put about half of it in. Let it sit, idling, then after a while,ran it through the gears. Then drove it around the big lot, forward and back, for a few minutes. Checked the stick and it shows good.
So we went carefully on our way. Bought a quart of fluid at the first store. Coming home that evening, it's beginning to shift a little slower,so we pulled off and I put the rest of the quart (probably a half pint/8oz. at most) in it; the stick was showing at the cold mark and it was plenty warmed up. Got home okay,but this truck is beginning to scare me.....
Are 4L 80Es this finicky, that being a pint or so down on fluid level makes them act funny? My first one, so this is new to me. Never had the 60s act up like this. The one we had rebuilt in our first 99 Burb, just lost its **** pretty much all at once, barely got it to the trans shop if it didn't go on a wrecker.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
This week has been eventful! Monday and Tuesday, Rawhide runs good (except for after he's been running a while and you have to stop at a light or in traffic ( he really doesn't like that!). The rough idle starts as a random misfire, then the longer you sit before moving,it gets gradually worse. It'll be doing the "ants in its pants" jumpy stuff if it's a long enough light or line at the drive thru.
But putting the transmission in Park , kicks the idle speed up a couple hundred revs, and it smooths out. I'm thinking maybe it's the distributor cap, since they're noted for misfire in that spot where the 2 cylinder contacts cross. I've looked at the plug wires and they don't look like they're touching each other.
Then Wednesday, picking up the last work visit for the front half of the week, across Houston from home, runs good all the way there, then, pulled into the parking lot... sort of steep driveway and a hard right to get into the lot. Truck goes into the turn, then gets slow, wheel gets hard to turn, and we hear a big hissing sound (like when the booster goes bad). Wtf!?
So we get it carefully into a parking spot, and start calling people. Road service can't haul it, it's too long for their flatbeds. A Burb barely fits em. So I called my friend, he can come get it in a couple hours. So we go in the store and start our work. Wrecker driver friend calls, he can move me up the line, he'll be there in an hour. He started the truck, no funny noise, steering wheel moves fine, but we've contracted for the tow so off he goes, to the shop. Shop guys all test drove it, Wednesday and Thursday, no problems. "What'd you have it towed for?"
So we picked it up, drove it some more Thursday, even steep driveways. No problems!
Then... yesterday morning (Friday), going across to the other side of Houston,to meet with a supervisor,and we're already running late.... stopped at a quicky mart/truck stop about halfway there. Pulled in the lot... same thing as Wednesday. Very slow,stiff steering, hissing sound. Get it across the lot, to the truck parking. No leaks in the hydro boost system. Checked the transmission fluid....which no one including me, thought of before....and the stick is dry! So I got the opened quart of fluid that came with the truck, and put about half of it in. Let it sit, idling, then after a while,ran it through the gears. Then drove it around the big lot, forward and back, for a few minutes. Checked the stick and it shows good.
So we went carefully on our way. Bought a quart of fluid at the first store. Coming home that evening, it's beginning to shift a little slower,so we pulled off and I put the rest of the quart (probably a half pint/8oz. at most) in it; the stick was showing at the cold mark and it was plenty warmed up. Got home okay,but this truck is beginning to scare me.....
Are 4L 80Es this finicky, that being a pint or so down on fluid level makes them act funny? My first one, so this is new to me. Never had the 60s act up like this. The one we had rebuilt in our first 99 Burb, just lost its **** pretty much all at once, barely got it to the trans shop if it didn't go on a wrecker.

My flipper showed full, then acted funny and wasn't full, so I filled it again and after that it was fine. I was surprised I was able to run it low without killing it. All automatic transmissions are finicky about fluid level, the big variable is which ones survive after being run low. Mine was low because it was a power train swap. My question to you is why is yours low? Is it escaping to the transfer case or the radiator if not on the ground?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
My flipper showed full, then acted funny and wasn't full, so I filled it again and after that it was fine. I was surprised I was able to run it low without killing it. All automatic transmissions are finicky about fluid level, the big variable is which ones survive after being run low. Mine was low because it was a power train swap. My question to you is why is yours low? Is it escaping to the transfer case or the radiator if not on the ground?
No transfer case, it's a C3500. Doesn't appear to be any leaks. The pan is damp from road grime (we've driven in rain a few days this week). The radiator looks clean, I don't think the cooler lines are leaking but will look at everything closer tomorrow.
And the coolant is nice clear orange Dex mix, no muddy water like the ferd had.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sort of steep driveway and a hard right to get into the lot. Truck goes into the turn, then gets slow, wheel gets hard to turn, and we hear a big hissing sound (like when the booster goes bad). Wtf!?

Are 4L 80Es this finicky, that being a pint or so down on fluid level makes them act funny?

My experience is that the 4l80e isn't finicky at all. The seal between mine and transfer case has been gone for 2 years now - it over fills the transfer case with atf, then will push a little out of the transfer case vent if you drive over 60 mph in 4 hi for a while. Would never have known that the transmission was a quart low unless checking it...

I'd focus on the "wheel gets hard to turn". I suspect that is your actual problem. Hydroboost might be making the brakes drag or the steering act weird?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Are 4L 80Es this finicky, that being a pint or so down on fluid level makes them act funny?

300K miles and no problems except for a rusty dip stick that I ignore.

The pan is damp from road grime (we've driven in rain a few days this week).

Rain dries. If it's damp, it's probably leaking. Clean it off and see if it comes back....some sort of household cleaner and a rag should work. I'd probably grab the tub and tile shower cleaner if I didn't have a degreaser handy. The pans are plated/coated with something that usually stays rust free.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd focus on the "wheel gets hard to turn". I suspect that is your actual problem. Hydroboost might be making the brakes drag or the steering act weird?

The way it's being described makes it sound like pressure is exceeding normal working levels and a bypass is opening up, but I don't know that the system has one. I wonder if the hydroboost/steering is overheating.

HotWheelsBurban is the power sterring cooler still in place and connected? You should see a couple of lines disappear into the core support. The cooler is tall and narrow and fits between the headlight and radiator.

Something, I'm not clear on..... you say it gets slow and hard to turn..... the whole truck doesn't want to move forward, or just the steering is slow?

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The way it's being described makes it sound like pressure is exceeding normal working levels and a bypass is opening up, but I don't know that the system has one. I wonder if the hydroboost/steering is overheating.

HotWheelsBurban is the power sterring cooler still in place and connected? You should see a couple of lines disappear into the core support. The cooler is tall and narrow and fits between the headlight and radiator.

Something, I'm not clear on..... you say it gets slow and hard to turn..... the whole truck doesn't want to move forward, or just the steering is slow?
When the transmission gets a little low on fluid, it gets a little bit slower coming from a stop, like first gear is a little slower to react? But when it does that, we pull into a parking lot,pop the hood, I check the stick and it is low. Put 4 or 5 oz. in it, back to normal.
I'll check about the power steering cooler(I have one that came off a dually on a previous U Pull And Pay trip, so I know what it looks like). If it doesn't have one, I know that one doesn't leak(cause it was full of fluid when I pulled it!). It's got surface rust on it, but I can wire brush some of that off.