Rattling/Whinning In T.C. Area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TL73

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 92 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd that has an odd rattling or whinning noise coming from the torque converter area. Very loud in cab while idling but still noticeable in higher rpms. The sound does change based on rpms. I've removed the dust cover from the trans, checked all hard lines to make sure there is no rubbing against the floorboard, checked exhaust pipes also. The sound is there regardless of gear position. From park to low gear all sounds the same. I've had the truck on the lift with it running and it definitely sounds like it's coming from the torque converter area. But here's the odd thing; while driving I can make a fairly hard left turn and the noise completely goes away. Once the truck straightens back out the noise comes back. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 92 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd that has an odd rattling or whinning noise coming from the torque converter area. Very loud in cab while idling but still noticeable in higher rpms. The sound does change based on rpms. I've removed the dust cover from the trans, checked all hard lines to make sure there is no rubbing against the floorboard, checked exhaust pipes also. The sound is there regardless of gear position. From park to low gear all sounds the same. I've had the truck on the lift with it running and it definitely sounds like it's coming from the torque converter area. But here's the odd thing; while driving I can make a fairly hard left turn and the noise completely goes away. Once the truck straightens back out the noise comes back. Any ideas would be appreciated.
If it is the torque converter making the noise then stop driving it. If that thing grenades your going to need a whole new trans. Mine starting ratteling about 10k after my last rebuild, but i was cheap and resused the TC. 10 miles later it would hardly pull itself onto a trailer. I pulled the trans and had my trans guy blow it apart only to find no damage to the trans yet. Took the opportunity to build it to handle 400hp and put a 2200 rpm stall converter in it. Really happy with its performance with the higher stall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk