Rattle from catalytic converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
99 tahoe 5.7-I have a rattle on tickover(raising with increased revs) from what I pinpointed to be catalytic converter-like something got destroyed-detached inside(totally like I had rocks inside)-anybody experienced this? It seem to have started with resonating sound-like a loose heat shield sound. Or can it be some other problem which I hear in catalytic converter(tho don't think so as we moved the exhaust and it seem to be rattling with movement). I found one video which seem to be exactly that(different car). Thanks for input.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a ticking/rattling noise on my 99 that turned out to be the weld at the muffler outlet had failed. The muffler shop welded a new muffler with a bit of exhaust pipe extensions.

Maybe check there in case that's where it's coming from?

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm affraid I got under the truck and it's defo from the converter but will double check before I fork out big buck for a new one. But it sounds like in this video
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm affraid the propane may be a culprit here as it burns hotter than petrol. Idk.
Anybody has any experiance with 9333 Catco? Do they fit well? It's a stainless steel one. Any other ones you know also stainless steel?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my 97 oem cat sounded just like yours, it was rattling around inside the housing.
magnaflow replacement for me, I did the Y pipe kit, quality imo so - so.
i did the kit since i didn't trust anyone around here to weld in a replacement, but if you have somebody i'd go that route.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never seen a catalytic converter that did not have a stainless steel shell.
According to some guy on amazon walker 50410 is galvanized rather than stainless-I don't know that much about them so I assumed not all are. Tho maybe he was refering to the pipes running to and from converter itself.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Going back to the subject-anyone had fitted one of these? Does it fit nicely or garbage?

Attachments

• Capture+_2022-02-02-16-58-24.png
    Capture+_2022-02-02-16-58-24.png
    683.4 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo