Catalytic converters.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1996 K1500 vortec 350.
What brands are good brands for our platform. Currently, I'm running a set from flow master that's way overpriced and the heat shield on one cat has dislodged itself and something on the inside of one has come loose and rattles.
I want to put new cats on and continue with the dual exhaust all the way back.
I have a single muffler (1 inlet/2 outlets) so I already have the exhaust pipes. I just want to eliminate the 2 into one section and run Walker silent flows.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I run a Magnaflow Y-pipe/cat on my V6 truck. It fits great, but I had one fail with less than 20K miles on it. Replaced it with the same part because I can't find anything better.

IMO, all the aftermarket options are less reliable than the factory cats.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Holy crap, this is ridiculous:
You must be registered for see images attach

How do these people expect to stay in business?

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced the oem on my '94 with a flowmaster y-cat, it failed after 70k miles, rattled inside. Replaced that with a Walker brand, fingers crossed.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the EXHAUST sub-section.

Instead of buying the $700+ full assembly, cut the cats out of your existing pipes, weld a couple of generic cats back into the original pipes.

Beware that the flange on the back is commonly warped and leaks. May want to make plans for dealing with that before doing anything else.

Generic weld-in cats used to be ~$60; I see lots of choices starting at $80 and up on the Summit site.

Lou Merrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the EXHAUST sub-section.

Instead of buying the $700+ full assembly, cut the cats out of your existing pipes, weld a couple of generic cats back into the original pipes.

Beware that the flange on the back is commonly warped and leaks. May want to make plans for dealing with that before doing anything else.

Generic weld-in cats used to be ~$60; I see lots of choices starting at $80 and up on the Summit site.
I'd love to loose the flange altogether and secure pipes to cats with stainless steel band clamps.