Random cylinder msifire!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
99 Vortec 350, new plugs, wires, cap & button, temp control sensor, 195 thermostat, and fuel filter. It keeps throwing a P0300 code, "random cylinder misfire". What else could cause this, and how di i fix it?

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well truck has 174,000, motor has 92,000, so im not sure which one was used when the motor was changed. I bought it after the motor was swapped, the only thing i have changed is what i listed in the first post.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you checked your dist gear? I had the same problem but it happened at higher rpms. I checked the dist gear and it was worn, so I replaced it and it solved the problem. Also the poppet style injectors are known to cause multiple misfires.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you have a scan tool available when you check it, because your timing has to be set back with a scan tool that reads "cam retard"

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never thought to look on ebay, thanks. I dont have a problem buying a whole new unit, because mine has the notorious broken screw hole for the cap screws. Not sure what GM was thinking when they made them from plastic! Will i need a scan tool if i use a whole new distributor?

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
no, the scan tool, isnt needed necessary, for a new distributor, but i would put a new coil on before i put a distributor in, its cheaper and easier if you take yours out, its not hard to line up a stock one, they arent adjustable, so they pop in a certain way. the computer adjusts the timing.