Random cylinder msifire!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jb2000tahoe

Reaction score
Damn - just found this forum - this is my first post even - looking to fix my 383 vortec random misfires too - read all 17 damn pages hoping to find the fix pr at least something else new I havent tried and all it turns out to be is trading it in for a new truck!!!...that sucks for me..sometimes I hate forums - spend 2 hours reading, hoping and for nothing.... at least you got a new truck - mean while all of us with misfires still have to keep reading and hoping... congrats on the new truck.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn - just found this forum - this is my first post even - looking to fix my 383 vortec random misfires too - read all 17 damn pages hoping to find the fix pr at least something else new I havent tried and all it turns out to be is trading it in for a new truck!!!...that sucks for me..sometimes I hate forums - spend 2 hours reading, hoping and for nothing.... at least you got a new truck - mean while all of us with misfires still have to keep reading and hoping... congrats on the new truck.

Man i feel your pain, i did the same thing while trying to fix the 96. I got fed up with trying to fix it, part after part, and nothing took care of it.

jb2000tahoe

Reaction score
what was that thing someone said about shimming the crank sensor? I'd like to see what and how this would work. I replaced my block when rebuilding with a earlier block from a camaro. I had to do a couple of things to make it work - first the timing cover on the "880" vortec block has 2 less bolts than the standard timing cover on older blocks - had to grind smooth the locating pins on the vortec plastic cover as the older block did have locating holes for it and the mating surface for the cover wasnt exactly the same where the 2 bolts arent used. Just had to add some rtv to make it seal properly. Also where the water pump is bolted to the block there is a smaller hole under the right side lower mounting bolt that has to plugged so coolant doesnt leak - and of course you don know this till your putting coolant in. Took me a while to find a small enough freeze plug that fit. So with these few differences It makes sense that the crank sensor isnt in the exact location as it would be with the original block and timing cover... Im also now concerned that the reluctor ring may not be the same distance from the block causing a problem.. anyone ran into this besides me..?
Jason