Random cylinder msifire!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also have the ebay dizzy. Had mine in for about a year with no issues.
The Summit unit is the exact same unit....but more expensive.
I drilled and tapped the screw holes in mine to 4mm and use stainless cap screws (allen key) to hold the cap on.
I refuse to use self tappers ANYWHERE in any of my vehicles.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is the model number and name of the scanner i need?

Reaction score
What is the model number and name of the scanner i need?

I am not sure of a DIY model. The one I use is a Snap on that cost my buddy $20,000 and services all makes and models. Not really an option for the home mechanic, I'll ask him if he knows of one.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a AutoXray 6000 and it reads cam retard. I paid $265 shipped from artictools on ebay. It retails for $550

JayBo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if something like this could be causing my engine to pre-detonate?
My #3 cylinder valves rattle like an empty paint can no matter what octane fuel I use.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a friend with one capable of reading it, he's going to let us borrow it, so sometime this week i will tear into it and get the gaskets changed on the intake, and check the gear on the distributor while its out. I may just go ahead and change the coil while im working on it. Thanks for all the input guys, i made the same post on FSC, and never got any response!

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have the extra $, I would buy the distributor from ebay, it comes with a brass cap, rotor, cam sensor, gasket, and gear. I have put 10k on mine and never had a problem.

Fast 95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Borrowed a scanner today and wanted to check and see where the cam retard was on the 96. It was at -6* at 1000 rpm, turned the dizzy a little and got it to -1* with a few tries. Marked it and started to do the intake gasket change, got it tore down and cleaned, and got the new gaskets and intake back on. The new ebay distributor should be here tomorow morning, so im hoping to get it done before noon. I'll let you guys know how it turned out. When we wrer taking it apart, some of the lower intake bolts wernt even finger tight, No wonder it was setting codes. The distributor gear looked to be in good shape, no knife edgeing, or chipped teeth. As for the poppets, they looked pretty decent, not like the bad pics that are floating around on the web, crusty and gummy. It had felpro gaskets on it, so i'm guessing someone has already cleaned and changed this stuff before.