Radio stays powered with key out of ignition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Virginiabound

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tonight I happened to go back out to my truck for something, I noticed the radio was playing and clock was on.

The only way the radio cuts off is if the up or down for the windows are pressed, as soon as they're released the radio powers itself again.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. My truck has done this for about a year now and I've just gotten into the habit of turning the head unit off when I turn the key off. Had to run out to the garage just now and test the window switch thing. Sure enough, when I press either window switch in either direction it shuts off! Mine stays off permanently once I do that, though. Does that difference signify something else going on or can I assume that my issue is the ignition switch as well?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to check the wiring diagrams and see what connections the power windows share with the accessory circuit for the radio first.

But this voodoo stuff reeks of a worn out ignition switch that is still maintaining a weak connection while it's supposed to be off. It's probably passing just enough power to the accessory circuit to trigger the headunit to turn on (since most aftermarket headunits draw the majority of their power through the unswitched battery/memory circuit) but when you try the use the window motors, the voltage drops enough for the radio to turn off.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Just out of curiosity does anyone know how difficult of a job it is to change the switch? Is it in the column?

sniper7202

Reaction score
Yea its in the column. Its held in with a single bolt under the plastic prices of the turn signal. Take that bolt out and then the switch will just slide out.

Ben

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome, this is added to my to-do list for sure. Thanks again for the info guys.

EDIT: Also just realized that I probably have a different radio than the original poster, hence the reason for the different yet similar behavior when I hit the window switches.