radio options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
i just brought home my truck,,1988 2wd long bed 3/4 ton 5.7 auto,,136000 ,,ice cld air,,got it for 1000.00
what are my options for the radio,,it works,,if you beat on it,,then blinks off at random,,has a cassette in a seperate in the middle of the dash,,kinda funky looking,,what speakers fit in the dash with out modification,,just got it,,like 4 hrs ago,,thanks,,

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most any single DIN head unit will fit without modification with the proper dash pocket. The front door speakers are 6.5", dash are 4"x6" and rear are 4"x6".

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
there are no door speakers,,and no rear speakers,,that i can find,,what is a decent brand for dash speakers,,and keep the cost down??

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You've got them in there somewhere I'm sure. Either that or they just don't work anymore or have been removed. Honestly for budget priced speakers I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between brands. It's when you get into mid range or high end stuff that things start to differ a little more. You can compare a few models side by side on Crutchfield.com. Look for high sensitivity ratings and large frequency response ranges within your price range. Personally I'd look for something with rubber surrounds instead of foam, you'll get more life out of them.

Example.

These: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI460/Polk-Audio-DXi460.html?tp=100#details-tab

Have a frequency response range (range of sound in Hz that they are capable of producing) and sensitivity rating (how efficiently they use the power you give them) which are better than the ratings on...

These: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777P46/Sound-Ordnance-P-46.html?tp=100#details-tab

But the prices will reflect this usually. You can find all this info including the speaker surround material by clicking on the "Details" tab on those pages.

Last edited:

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
its a 2 door long wheel base ,,i looked cant see where they would be?? any ideas.. thanks for the link on the speakers,,what is your opinion on the pioneer 4x6 2 way speaker??? thanks for your time and replies,,have a great day,,,

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
its a 2 door long wheel base ,,i looked cant see where they would be?? any ideas.. thanks for the link on the speakers,,what is your opinion on the pioneer 4x6 2 way speaker??? thanks for your time and replies,,have a great day,,,

Got any pics of your interior? They should be on the bottom of the door and right on the b pillar behind your head

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You've got them in there somewhere I'm sure. Either that or they just don't work anymore or have been removed. Honestly for budget priced speakers I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between brands. It's when you get into mid range or high end stuff that things start to differ a little more. You can compare a few models side by side on Crutchfield.com. Look for high sensitivity ratings and large frequency response ranges within your price range. Personally I'd look for something with rubber surrounds instead of foam, you'll get more life out of them.

Example.

These: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI460/Polk-Audio-DXi460.html?tp=100#details-tab

Have a frequency response range (range of sound in Hz that they are capable of producing) and sensitivity rating (how efficiently they use the power you give them) which are better than the ratings on...

These: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777P46/Sound-Ordnance-P-46.html?tp=100#details-tab

But the prices will reflect this usually. You can find all this info including the speaker surround material by clicking on the "Details" tab on those pages.

Dash speakers only likely....my 89 was the same way. No door speakers.

Easiest way out fo the head unit is one of these:

You must be registered for see images attach

and then you can use a radio of your choice. Cheap or expensive. Either leave the OEM radio control where it is or drop in a "cubby":

You must be registered for see images

Looks like this all said and done:

Ignore the rest of the interior, it was the first pic that showed up on google that showed the radio and cubby.

Dash speakers are an odd size IIRC. You can get straight across replacements (hard to find sometimes and kind of crappy for anything besides very basic sound) or you can modify the dash a bit to take more conventional ones.

Or you can buy some pods to mount them on the door or kick panels.

Alternatively, you can get slightly newer or higher trim level door panels that have the speaker opening in them.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Dash speakers only likely....my 89 was the same way. No door speakers.

Easiest way out fo the head unit is one of these:

and then you can use a radio of your choice. Cheap or expensive. Either leave the OEM radio control where it is or drop in a "cubby":

Looks like this all said and done:

Ignore the rest of the interior, it was the first pic that showed up on google that showed the radio and cubby.

Dash speakers are an odd size IIRC. You can get straight across replacements (hard to find sometimes and kind of crappy for anything besides very basic sound) or you can modify the dash a bit to take more conventional ones.

Or you can buy some pods to mount them on the door or kick panels.

Alternatively, you can get slightly newer or higher trim level door panels that have the speaker opening in them.

I think my brothers truck is the same way actually now that i think about it we just put a kenwood in it and the cubby you showed i cant remember if he has door speakers in it we juat threw in a sub for good measure haha

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I think my brothers truck is the same way actually now that i think about it we just put a kenwood in it and the cubby you showed i cant remember if he has door speakers in it we juat threw in a sub for good measure haha

These are the earlier door panels:

No speakers.

I have seen the pockets modified to hold speakers though.

Other than that, you have to "trade up".....:)

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
thanks for the replies,,where can i get the cubbie and other item for radio,,i did locate rear speakers,,by head under top of seat belt,,thanks for your time and replies..