radiator fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91babyblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
rookie here. got 5.7 in my 91. is radiator fan clutch driven? or is it turn with engine. I can turn the fan by hand freely when engine is stopped . not used to this.

F4U-1A

G-Damn Blackfly season worst in 20yrs F!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thx for that!apprecia

Its driven by a heated clutch, it'll always spin but the clutch with tighten up as it draws more heat through the rad.
How would you calibrate the heated clutch, it is an adventure of poisoning my brain with Hydraulic Teck. All Good.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can turn the fan by hand freely when engine is stopped

It should turn, but I wouldn't think it should turn "freely".

You've got AC on that truck (as you mentioned in your other post) and many AC-equipped vehicles have a heavy-duty fan clutch to promote airflow through the condenser. "Heavy-duty" clutches will have "less slippage" / "tighter clutching".

With the engine off, I would expect this level of freedom in the clutch:

- you can turn the fan / push it by hand, on the blades, but...

- it gives you a fair amount of resistance to motion, and...

- once you stop turning it, its motion stops almost immediately. It doesn’t coast to a stop.

Note that the fan should not have any motion if you push the blade(s) toward the front or back of the vehicle. If you do find play of this type, investigate whether the play's due to the clutch or the water pump and take remedial action to eliminate it.

Last edited: