R12 to R134 conversion wiring, what am I seeing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what I am seeing in this picture?
This is a 1993 chevy 2500 with 5.7, and it looks like the previous owner did a AC conversion, but I am pretty sure they went a cheap route on this...
I have looked online for any videos or written instructions on how the conversion is done, but have failed to find anything that is similalr in the wiring like this....
I beleive that the compressor here is a R4 compressor, and from the look of the orange paint on it, I am assuming it was a junkyard find.
I would like to clean up the wiring mess, but want to be sure that what looks like two different compressor connectors is the correct way to do this before I start cutting and wrapping.
On the positive side, the AC works just fine, a little noisy on the clutch at times however....
Thanks for any help on this...

You must be registered for see images attach

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The small round connector is for the high pressure switch that can be mounted on the back of the compressor, if you look at the back of the compressor there will be a inner snap ring holding a small aluminum blank. This can be removed and a sensor installed. It isn't needed though to operate.

The previous owner probably took the 12v signal from the original clutch connector (bottom in the picture) and stole the ground from the high pressure switch.

If you unwrap the wires a little further back you will probably find the two wires that weren't used are actually two ends of the same wire. You can remove it and then splice in the proper connector using the other two wires (polarity does not matter) and then wrap everything back up for a clean look.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The small round connector is for the high pressure switch that can be mounted on the back of the compressor, if you look at the back of the compressor there will be a inner snap ring holding a small aluminum blank. This can be removed and a sensor installed. It isn't needed though to operate.

The previous owner probably took the 12v signal from the original clutch connector (bottom in the picture) and stole the ground from the high pressure switch.

If you unwrap the wires a little further back you will probably find the two wires that weren't used are actually two ends of the same wire. You can remove it and then splice in the proper connector using the other two wires (polarity does not matter) and then wrap everything back up for a clean look.

Thank you for taking the time to explain...It is appreciated!