questions about a/c

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
My a/c sucks.

I checked the pressure with a cheap gauge and it appeared low, so I put some refrigerant in (the blue can stuff), but both the gauge and the guage on the can just stayed the same. Just below the green range on the gauges.

I'm guessing it has a leak? How well does the leak detection die work? I read that the ht6 compressor is a POS. Will I be able to tell a leak on it with the die?

I also read that the sanden upgraded compressor is better. If I happen to find one of the sandens in the junkyard would it be okay to use? I would have an a/c guy do all the vacuum stuff on it when I swap it out.

I'm a broke college student BTW, that's why I ask. :lol:

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leak dye is the best thing you can really do. The sniffers are terrible. we have a few at work and I can can find leaks on my GMC... (it doesent have A/C)..

Check the fins on your condenser. clean it is it is full of crap. Check the evaporator make sure the fins on it arent toast. unfortunatly without a manifold guage set its hard to tell what exactly your A/C syetm is doing.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Leak dye is the best thing you can really do. The sniffers are terrible. we have a few at work and I can can find leaks on my GMC... (it doesent have A/C)..

Check the fins on your condenser. clean it is it is full of crap. Check the evaporator make sure the fins on it arent toast. unfortunatly without a manifold guage set its hard to tell what exactly your A/C syetm is doing.

X2! I use the dye all the time, the sniffers are only good if you have a Evaporator core is leaking [enclosed area]

And if you have crap plugging the condensor or even between the condensor and the radiator, it will affect the cooling capability of the system.

DAC_CFH

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I do anything- I do a vacuum test and then compress the system with nitrogen. I find that if i have a system that keeps dropping about a pound or two of R134 in a very slow amount of time I will send it with dye in it and then have the customer come back in a few days.. the stuff really shows up then!