Question - Before I spend a lot of money...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a question. I have a 1994 Silverado Blazer with a tired (208K miles) TBI, and I'm wondering if you guys can help me save some money. For awhile now, it has been bleeding coolant internally. After spending a couple weeks online, browsing several topics, it seems that it could be a faulty intake gasket, and that this is fairly common. My question is, at 208K miles, should I have this gasket replaced (too cold for me to do it, and I don't have a garage), or should I just drop in a rebuilt TBI? I've found a place that sells warrantied remans for $1K, and I found a guy that will install a new motor for $400 + additionals (fluids, gasket, etc.).

Basically, should I pull the trigger on a remanufactured engine, or just go the cheaper route and get the intake gasket replaced? Is 208K miles high enough to just spend the extra money for the piece of mind? I really love this truck and would hate to have to get rid of it, so dropping a new engine in it (if it is needed) wouldn't be a horrible investment, but I'd rather not spend the money on that if you guys think it will run just fine with the new gasket. Beyond that issue, the truck runs like a champ. It starts up every time, gets me 14mpg consistently, and has been in the family since '96.

Let me know if you need any more information, and thanks in advance for the help.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Junkyard motor :imo I just replaced my vortec for the same motor with less mileage for $500 took a weekend to swap in and was back on the road. Your TBI would take about a day to swap

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I had a garage, or even warm weather, I'd attempt to do the swap. The guy I talked to (who quoted me $400+) said it was a pretty simple swap since the technology on the motor was toward the low end. I guess I could look into the junk yard, but the colder weather takes away a lot of my options.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
If I had a garage, or even warm weather, I'd attempt to do the swap. The guy I talked to (who quoted me $400+) said it was a pretty simple swap since the technology on the motor was toward the low end. I guess I could look into the junk yard, but the colder weather takes away a lot of my options.

yeah I never think of the weather, expessially the cold, between using my dads shop and Florida being hotter than two rats ******* in a wool sock

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i'd say depends on what your looking to get out of the truck. if your only looking at keeping it another couple years (up to like 4yrs) and then getting rid of it i'd say just replace the gasket. but if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time then the engine swap/rebuild/new would be worth it at this time

btw i do my stuff in the cold here in WI i do it in a garage but that only takes out the wind pretty much lol i still do work when its below zero or just above

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With 250k on the block it wont be long before something big goes. I'd look for a replacement TBI or maybe go the hotrod route with a LS engine.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Felpro is the brand gasket I use, they are the ****, I get mine from Advance Auto Parts.