Question about crankcase ventilation hose vs. breather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am working on cleaning up the engine bay on my truck (1990 K1500 with a 350), and bought ProForm valve covers. These valve covers look great and fit well, but the crankcase ventilation and oil fill locations are opposite of the factory covers.

I was wondering if I could replace the ventilation hose with a regular breather and plug off the port on the throttle body, or if I should find a longer ventilation hose. If so, has anybody done this and have a part number for the hose and grommet?

Also, will anything bad happen as a result of me filling the oil from the rear of the valve cover? Sorry if that sounds silly, but I'm pretty new to all of this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had different valve covers on my K1500, but the PCV and oil fill are also reversed.

There's ZERO problem with the oil fill at the rear, except that it's harder to get to.

I extended the PCV hose, and put the PCV towards the rear on the right side, and extended the hose on the other side so it still connected to the air cleaner riser fitting.

Worked great for 80K miles and 18-something years.

If this were me, I'd put that air cleaner in the recycle bin, and re-connect the OEM air cleaner which provides temperature-controlled air via the ductwork and in-fender air passages.

Reaction score
I had different valve covers on my K1500, but the PCV and oil fill are also reversed.

There's ZERO problem with the oil fill at the rear, except that it's harder to get to.

I extended the PCV hose, and put the PCV towards the rear on the right side, and extended the hose on the other side so it still connected to the air cleaner riser fitting.

Worked great for 80K miles and 18-something years.

If this were me, I'd put that air cleaner in the recycle bin, and re-connect the OEM air cleaner which provides temperature-controlled air via the ductwork and in-fender air passages.

This is going to sound like an incredibly silly question, but how did you go about extending those hoses? I'm guessing I will have to buy generic hose rated for use in the PCV system and cut it to fit?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Of your motor has a ton of blowby then a simple breather will make a mess. Otherwise it'll be fine.