QUESTION? '92 vs '98 Frame/Steering Component Design Change > Frame Swap Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello to All,

A little info about my truck, '92 K1500, Z71 Ext/Stepside, TBI 350/700R4, 10 bolt/3.42's - 146K miles

Here's my question:

I am swapping over to a '98 Frame and was in the process of ordering an entire new Moog front end... I realized that there is a difference in the Idler Arm and lower ball joints between the two frames.. is this a problem for the swap or not?

I would think that there isn't, because the Pitman Arm & Centerlink, are the same throughout the '88-'98 K1500's, but ? Obviously using the '98 pieces would be required on this, but Mr. Murphy has a way of popping up when you least expect him.

The only difference I can see in the Idler Arm is that the '93-98 design is much beefier and has more support with the extra mounting and Im not sure what the difference in the lower ball joint is...

Any other pitfalls between the '92 and the later frame that Im not aware of? The reason for the swap is that 2 of my frame-to-body mount horns look like "U"s and the rear section is not gone but thinning. Seeing as I drive her as my DD and plan on keeping her for a long time, reinforcing a weakening frame is a waste, especially since Im upgrading her to last many more years. Her primary duties are DD, towing, and handling New England's worst Nor' Easters (no plowing). Part of my plan is to "Upgrade" her to what GM "Should" have done for the Z71 package to begin with.. Adding a Moog steering stabilizer, a 14 bolt SF 6 lug, and am debating on what I want to do for an engine upgrade... GM crate or LS swap... I am also boxing the areas that like to crack on the framerails and doing the rear cab mount upgrade.

I appreciate any help/info, Thank you much!
Brother Al

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The '98 frame I have does not have the beloved forged lowers and it definitely is a '98 K1500 frame.. they are stamped. Weren't the 2500HD and 3500 the only ones to get forged?