Pulley noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
93 k1500 has a kinda on off hmmm to it. Took off belt to check pulleys as I thought it was the water pump pulley.. but when I checked it wasn’t making any noise.. has to be what beneath it which is the harmonic balancer.. never changes one of these before.. and I can’t turn it obviously when it’s off. How can I be sure and if so how hard is it to Change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
30+ years as a mechanic and I have never had a balancer make noise unless the rubber was gone the ring was bouncing. Get a mechanic's stethoscope and check the accessories and pump with the engine running.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you try and run it with out the belt on? No, it will not hurt anything if you only do it for a couple few minutes. I'm with knuckle dragger on this one. All my years as a mechanic and as mentioned , only time I've seen them make noise when the rubber is almost all gone. Run it without the belt and see if it still does it.. if it does I'm betting, as it's a 93, that it's actually the timing chain making the noise. I have had those so warn they slap the cover...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damn. You may he right. Could be timing chain. Vibrating noise. Intermittent but steady. Watched some videos. Doesn’t seem that difficult. Gonna need a few loaner tools. Going to get a mechanic friend to look at it and verify that it is in fact the chain was going to get an ls1 for my 96 but it might go into this instead not sure as of yet. Was hoping to get a few more hrs out of it

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took it today. Pulled the belt ran the engine..... smooth. Fan loose and pulls loose. Going to change was going electric anyway

Kv5137kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which leads to the next question what’s a good replacement water pump.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The balancers go bad.if the rubber starts breaking up.it is held on by a center bolt.some will come off in your hands some.you use a puller.if you pull that think about replacing the water pump.but what about the power steering pump.did you turn that.to see if it was dragging.then the AC pump.and the belt tensioner.they some times go bad.go find some videos on Youtube