PSC XD STEERING GEAR BOX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thirsty

Reaction score
Steering gear/box has lots of play. Ordered PSC xd box. Once it’s here I will install it and the other steering parts and give a review. If anybody has this box let me know what you think, can’t find any reviews for our erra trucks

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Steering gear/box has lots of play. Ordered PSC xd box. Once it’s here I will install it and the other steering parts and give a review. If anybody has this box let me know what you think, can’t find any reviews for our erra trucks
I have one that my goal is to install today or tomorrow

gwolf

Reaction score
I installed the PSC HD box in my 96 suburban with the 7.4. The truck has a solid axle swap with the kingpin 60 so I ordered up the full PSC system because I had previously modified the stock box by porting it for hydro-assist and it was crapping out. The PSC HD box is substantially larger than the factory steering box and according to PSC has been ported for higher flow and so on. I also ordered their high flow pump and remote reservoir. Parts were ordered through Off Road Design and I got the custom extended throw Ram which I highly recommend for SAS conversions. The truck definitely steers a lot better now with the new ram assist, the steering is super tight and much quicker, for a Ram-Assist. All play has vanished from the system, though at the time I also changed all the tire rod ends and drag link ends so the steering was completely freshened up. As I said it steers substantially easier now though not only because of the larger box but the whole system. A side effect with the high pressure/flow pump was that I needed to replace all of my old Hydro assist and power steering lines as they were original and started leaking once I was running a healthy power steering system. Love Rock Auto.

A few notes on the install.
1. Some washers were needed to space the box a bit away from the frame so the 4 frame bolts to the box could be tightened properly.
2. Look at replacing everything in the system as other weaknesses will appear and you won’t get optimum performance/ moneys worth without the upgraded pump and reservoir.
3. Check your other associated steering components. Hoses, rod ends etc.
4. I would highly recommend using the recommended power steering fluid, it just worked better and was quieter, indicating, to me anyway, less stress on the system.
5. I had to do some creative fabrication to set up the the reservoir.
There is a lot of good information on PSC’s website.
6. Lastly, these are not reman steering boxes, they are 100% new and custom improved/built for purpose in all ways. Hence they are more expensive than the guys rebuilding old boxes.