Problem w/ starter replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overwest

Reaction score
Hi, I was hoping I could reach out to this forum for some help. I've got a 94 4x4 Suburban that I've been having no start issues with lately intermittently. I figured it was time for a new starter as I've had to beat on it with a hammer a few times.

I had an ACDelco replacement that I tried to pop in, but when I tried to reconnect the negative battery cable the post started arcing badly and the engine was trying to crank itself over. Put the original one back in, no issues. Went to autozone and got a Duralast replacement. Tried it and ran into the same issue. Each time I double checked grounds, tightness on each post, and even pulled the ECM/IGN fuse to see if it was an issue with the ignition switch. Kind of lost since the truck works perfectly fine with the original but gets weird when I try to put in a replacement. Any thoughts?

Also I'll add PO jerry rigged in an aftermarket alarm and I'm not sure if the remote start function works or not and is causing the problem.

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure when you tightened the signal wire (the small wire) down that it stays put and doesn't twist with the tightening of the nut..... if it moves the, only place for it to stop is on the main (always hot) starter terminal between the battery and the starter......

sent from what use to be a great country...

Overwest

Reaction score
Make sure when you tightened the signal wire (the small wire) down that it stays put and doesn't twist with the tightening of the nut..... if it moves the, only place for it to stop is on the main (always hot) starter terminal between the battery and the starter......

sent from what use to be a great country...

you got it. I got stuck with the duralast one since I installed it....fantastic. Anyways, figured I would give it another go. Read somewhere else that the starter grounds thru the mounting bolts, and I noticed the gap was different with the various replacements. Also looked at what you mentioned when I reattached the B+ and signal. The B+ has a ring with a little side notch that must of been touching the signal post. All is well now.