Prevent Rust on Solid Body Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthState

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have owned (3) GMT400s. Two ‘98s and currently a ‘97. On my second 98, I replaced the passenger cab corner/rocker panel. On the one I have now, the rockers/corners seem solid, but the paint on the whole truck is that terrible one that is peeling to the primer. I am going to paint it, but was wondering if there is anything preemptively that can be done to keep from a repaint in the future. Like, has anyone drilled “weep” holes to drain the inevitable moisture that is bound to cause rust?
You must be registered for see images attach

NorthState

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have owned (3) GMT400s. Two ‘98s and currently a ‘97. On my second 98, I replaced the passenger cab corner/rocker panel. On the one I have now, the rockers/corners seem solid, but the paint on the whole truck is that terrible one that is peeling to the primer. I am going to paint it, but was wondering if there is anything preemptively that can be done to keep from a repaint in the future. Like, has anyone drilled “weep” holes to drain the inevitable moisture that is bound to cause rust?

Above is the finished cab corner and then the one I need to paint, that has the good corners/rockers

NorthState

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I live in Eastern North Carolina, so as long as I keep her out of the ocean, I should t have a salt problem, thankfully. I just don’t want to have to deal with rusty wheel openings and other parts, if I can prevent it.

NorthState

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
*Bump*
So I thought I had good rockers and cab corners… turns out, I had some coming thru the driver’s extended cab rocker area.

Cut it out, patched, glassed and primed. Gotta fox about 5-6 ****** dents and then wet sand and paint.

Does anyone have opinions about the plastic plugs under the truck in this area? Leave them in or out? Why plug another hole for moisture to go out of? Right?

CumminsBronco

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a can of fluid film and applicator gun in my shop, that I just received...and I've got a 97 Suburban that has spent its whole life in AZ., but now resides here. Its as rust free as the trucks rolling off the assembly line at the plant where I work. Hoping to keep it that way with regular use of FluidFilm.