Power off with key on, normal on accessory

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So when I came out of work this evening found my truck working abnormally. With key in accessory everything worked as normal, I'm run or start everything lost power. Thinking it might be a fuse I looked at the 2 ignition fuses in the engine fuse box, everything checked out normal. After a few tries I was able to get power to everything with key in on position and ran it home. Sounds like an ignition switch to me is there anything I should check first?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You didn't mention model year, but since you did mention the underhood fuse box I'll assume 1995-up. Yes, most likely suspect is a bad ignition switch - the electrical portion of it, not the tumbler. If you were 1994-older it could be the switch/adjustment, or slop in the column tilt.

Richard

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You didn't mention model year, but since you did mention the underhood fuse box I'll assume 1995-up. Yes, most likely suspect is a bad ignition switch - the electrical portion of it, not the tumbler. If you were 1994-older it could be the switch/adjustment, or slop in the column tilt.

Richard
Sorry, I had some libations last night... yes, 97. Thanks for confirming.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For anybody reading this looking for answers, my problem turned out to be something other than the ignition switch, but I stand by my diagnosis based on the symptoms. Turns out the negative terminal on the battery had come loose, had enough connectivity to power on accessory, but not run everything. Telltale signs that I saw after the fact:
Radio didn't come on, even in accessory
When testing battery voltage in run, the negative terminal arced to the negative wire.

I already paid for the switch, and I'm not returning it, mainly because I'm not going through the hassle if reinstalling that switch when I only paid $50 for it.

Note: 1A auto has the exact switch for this vehicle, but it's listed under a 95-96 and requires you to do minor surgery on the harness. There's 3 wires that need to be removed from the existing harness, and added to the new one. Pic below. They also have an incredible walk through on how to install the part on YouTube.

In the picture, it's the gray wire on the right, and the blue and orange wires on the left. I was able to remove the wires with the harness terminals by removing the blue tabs on either end, then use a tiny flathead to unhook them from the original harness, then remove blue tabs from either end of your new harness, insert into corresponding openings, and reinsert blue tabs.
You must be registered for see images attach