Power Brake Booster Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
I dont have all data since I graduated auto school. Do I have to anything special when replacing the brake booster? Any special tools needed? Mine is bad

97 k1500 350 3 door

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I replaced the one on my 96 right before I sold it and I don't remember any special tools really. But it is a major pita, of course I'm not a tiny guy either so most of my problems were getting myself in the floorboard and working in cramped spaces.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Actually that was the biggest problem I had come to think of it. I can't really remember to be honest I think a tiny screwdriver and I'm not sure but I may have ended up breaking it. I may have bought a new clip or the booster came with one , I'm sorry I just don't remember but I do remember it being a problem.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
if you have a set of ring pliers thats what i used. rotate the clip so you see the gap and just spread the gap. you can also just use 2 screw drivers and just bend the clip tabs alittle. dont worry to much since it can bend right back.

and just incase you havent... PAINT THAT SUCKER BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT! i see quite a few in my junkyard that are rusted to hell from people just slapping them in the truck. only takes another 1/2hour or so to clean and spray paint it in the sun. it didnt take me to long to swap mine out like said already that clip is the hardest part with it being so small and cramped! and the 4bolts that hold the booster to the firewall i just used some really long extensions and a swivel joint on the socket end. much easier to quickly remove and reinstal after nuts started of course!
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

THATS IF that is the type of clip you have. the other type ive seen is just a bent over tab. tho i dont have a close up picture of that style. it was on a older obs hydroboost.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well if you can use those ring pliers its very easy to remove. but if you dont have that tool available you can always get by with 2 small screw drivers. its not to bad. at least it snaps right back inplace by hand ;)