Police scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
ok been wanting to get one for a while now but have no clue what to look for , like what is a good brand what should i look for as features. i dont want it to be to complicated. dash mounted and not too expensive maybe 150-200 bucks . anybody have any expierence with these ? thanks for any and all advice and help

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
I've had a few from Radio Shack and they have worked good, but it's been quite a few years since I bought one.

towman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
before you buy one check to see if your local police scrambeled their air waves, around here you can't get the locals

DonYukon

Reaction score
this one is probably the best option

not to expensive and it will pick up most things

http://www.uniden.com/scanners/800-...-with-narrowband-compatibility-/invt/bc355ng/

i have an older one similar to it sitting around somewhere

exact one i was looking at thanks hopefully ill have the money for it in a couple weeks

before you buy one check to see if your local police scrambeled their air waves, around here you can't get the locals

good post man thanks for the advice ill check into it

TheClev.z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here pretty soon they will be switching to all digital so it may be a waste of money. They are having communication issues like in 9/11. No sure if it'll be soon I just know they will be switching

NEMESIS

Reaction score
if you have a smart phone I believe there is an app for this. I remember seeing one but I dont remember where.

Snotrocket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had a scanner in my truck for almost 20 years so here is some advice.

A scanner is extremely useful for monitoring all kinds of things. My personal favorite is a couple local construction companies.

The first thing you should do is head over to http://www.radioreference.com/ and look up your area to see what kind of frequencies are being broadcast. If your local PD/highway patrol is using a digital system you will need a digital scanner to hear them. A digital unit will also receive all analog frequencies.

I'm currently using a Uniden BCT 8 that I picked up for around $150 awhile back. It is an analog scanner as that is what is used in my area.

Any and all scanning questions can be answered on the radio reference forum.

DonYukon

Reaction score
Wow you guys got good info so from what your saying am i better just to get digital from the get go even if my area uses anolog because it can pick up both
from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2