Plus Sized Grandpa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Courchained

Reaction score
Thank you. It has come together quite nicely. Alot of fun along the way. Bought it Fall of 20 with 138k and fairly little rust. (Looked basically stock with some aftermarket wheels and oversized tires)

I originally had the spacers installed on both sides. When looking at the inboard boot I found the ridges to be closer on the driver's side. I removed the spacer and found the gap to be the same as the passenger side. (Achieving more of a stock geometry)
I have very minimal crank on the bars as well.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
"we can rebuild him"

Not great, but not the end of the world.

Looks like the trailer came around and kissed the side...

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
"we can rebuild him"

Not great, but not the end of the world.

Looks like the trailer came around and kissed the side...

Ding ding ding. Just HAD to get out and try to get some work done that morning. Roads not plowed. Just coming off an interchange at low speed but not in 4wd cuz just got off the highway.

All occurred at about 5mph.

I'm just gonna stay the F home next time.

Then argued back and forth with insurance for about 2 months on the loss. In the end we were both unhappy so it was probably a fair-ish deal.

Definitely go the "appraisal clause" route on your policy if you find yourself in a similar situation. It's the only reason I was compensated right for the damages to this pickup.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
Ding ding ding. Just HAD to get out and try to get some work done that morning. Roads not plowed. Just coming off an interchange at low speed but not in 4wd cuz just got off the highway.

All occurred at about 5mph.

I'm just gonna stay the F home next time.

Then argued back and forth with insurance for about 2 months on the loss. In the end we were both unhappy so it was probably a fair-ish deal.

Definitely go the "appraisal clause" route on your policy if you find yourself in a similar situation. It's the only reason I was compensated right for the damages to this pickup.

Yeah that can be a pain with "older" nice vehicles, especially in the case of a GMT400 that is appreciating in value at this point.

My Z28, '49 GMC, and the wife's Mach 1 are all insured by a collector car specific company with "agreed cash values" for that specific reason.

Well, I will say I'm happy to see that it is repairable, its still too nice of a pickup to scrap(I've got first dibs ;)). You've done a ton of quality work and upgrades to it, still something to be proud of!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not bad at all!
I get scared thinking about what my insurance would say in the event of a wreck, I've got full coverage on my truck and my wife's Jeep, but it seems like any old dent will total a vehicle out these days.
That's why I've got folders of receipts and documents for both of them and a good lawyer I keep in contact with

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Yeah that can be a pain with "older" nice vehicles, especially in the case of a GMT400 that is appreciating in value at this point.

My Z28, '49 GMC, and the wife's Mach 1 are all insured by a collector car specific company with "agreed cash values" for that specific reason.

Well, I will say I'm happy to see that it is repairable, its still too nice of a pickup to scrap(I've got first dibs ;)). You've done a ton of quality work and upgrades to it, still something to be proud of!

Yes you're doing it right with the agreed cash values. I thought a few times after I had got some work into it that I needed to update my policy to something similar. Or at least get an aftermarket parts rider. I won't build another vehicle without one.

It's definitely still a nice enough truck. Just will never be where it was when damage like this happens. I have color matched doors and hood waiting to go on but other than maintenance I will probably not put any more work or money into this pickup. Will just be my beater work truck now.

Not bad at all!
I get scared thinking about what my insurance would say in the event of a wreck, I've got full coverage on my truck and my wife's Jeep, but it seems like any old dent will total a vehicle out these days.
That's why I've got folders of receipts and documents for both of them and a good lawyer I keep in contact with

Yeah I also carried good coverage and receipts etc. But my insurer said receipts don't matter unless you carry an aftermarket parts rider. I was surprised we ended up deliberating value so hotly. They were 40% or so off on their initial settlement offer than where we landed after the appraisal.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same coverage on my 88 through Farmers Insurance. Plus with my Historic Plates and this policy, it's emissions exempt. Just about any insurance company can write one up.

I need to up the value since I got it painted :(

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought, our attorney suggested we get a $1,000,000 blanket policy which would cover everything including auto insurance. Someday I'm gonna get together with our agent and explore this.