Please Help Me Pick Out Parts for My Truck Suspension Overhaul!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rc64597

Reaction score
All-

I posted a thread in here months ago about a similar topic. Please disregard that...things have changed.

I bought a clean 1998 K1500 (4x4 extended cab short bed) this year. The previous owner needed to replace steering/suspension parts on the truck for his son...so instead of going OEM, he bought a bolt-on lift kit which had all the parts he needed.

The kit is a 2-3" Rough Country Suspension Lift (effectively a leveling kit) with rear add-a-leafs. Lift seen here (http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-suspension-lift-kit-170.html)

Truck uses (currently):

-Hauling dirtbikes and ATVS
-Home Depot runs
-Pulling single-axle trailors
-Might eventually pull bigger trailers, I will equip truck with tranny cooler and Solid Front Axle if I ever do
-NOT used off-road hardly ever

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is my goal:

-Return truck back to stock ride height/ride quality/etc
-Maximize tire, shock, tie rod, ball joint, etc life
-Maximize steering/handling quality
-Minimize steering/suspension maintenance
-Remove the bolt-on lift, install OEM/aftermarket parts, align the truck, and then sell the lift kit. I have access to a hydraulic auto lift and all tools needed to do the swap myself over a weekend.

Questions I have:

1) How do I repair the section of the frame that was cut to remove differential mount? I do not have any parts leftover from when the previous owner did the swap. I heard there is a bolt-on bracket to replace OEM bracket for a case like this, does anyone know where I find it? Or, can you suggest another inexpensive way to fix this, short of welding a new one on? (which I CAN do)

2) Shocks: Can you recommend some good shocks for this truck? Whether I leave the lift on it or remove it...either way...I am looking to get better shocks than the POS Rough Country shocks. I am thinking Bilstein 5100? from the Z71 trucks. Do they make these in longer lengths for lifted trucks?

3) Gas Mileage: From your experience...how much does a small lift like this effect gas mileage on a stock engine and stock tire/rim size? Does the decrease in MPG come from the lift (increased air drag from taller vehicle) or from changing to oversized wheels/tires? I really do not want to put bigger wheels/tires/gears on this truck just to make it LOOK good, this is about making my truck a daily driver instead of a mud blaster.

4) Lift- Would you keep it or remove it? Is this a good lift? If I can maintain stock MPG, handling, and ride quality by keeping the lift, getting better shocks and tires...I will listen for SURE...I would rather not have to spend a weekend doing this if it's a good lift to start with

Thanks all!

Bob

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure about everything else as I don't have any experience with lifts and oversize tires, however you're definitely on the right track with the Bilstein shocks. I believe the Z71s had the HD series though, not the 5100s. I put the HDs on my truck and love them.

rc64597

Reaction score
I'm not sure about everything else as I don't have any experience with lifts and oversize tires, however you're definitely on the right track with the Bilstein shocks. I believe the Z71s had the HD series though, not the 5100s. I put the HDs on my truck and love them.

I am very much trying to decide between the Bilstein 5100, Comforts, or HDs now...anyone with insight on how they work with a 4x4 GMT400 is very much appreciated!!!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the HDs on my Suburban, too. They're great. The ride is extremely comfortable but not at all "squishy." Make sure you check prices on eshocks.com before you buy anything, they're usually the cheapest for Bilstein.