performance suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

narizon

Reaction score
Might not be a jack rabbit of the line but at 65 mph it pushing around 2100 RPM & like I said,it's my wagon cruiser.Been thinking about some 3.73's but I like the fuel mileage of the 2.73's.Just picked up a Tonneau cover for it so it should help out some more on saving the O Zone & my wallet.
I am thinking of dropping the rear 2" with lowering shackles.

Last edited:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Been thinking about some 3.73's but I like the fuel mileage of the 2.73's.

I'd go 3.42. It's not as drastic of a change. I have 3.73's. Love em, but it does make the engine rev a fair amount more. Fun around town. Makes for quick pull outs when passing, but it has hurt my mileage. Now, that could also be on the fault of the driver. It's just so much more fun.
If you've got a V8, it'll pull with 3.42's nicely.

Klumpper

Reaction score
One thing you may consider if doing a converter swap is running a 4.3 converter behind the v8. GM factory parts with that quality, and typically can be had for cheaper than aftermarket units. You'll retain the factory lock-up feel, but the extra power compared to how it's set up for a 4.3 will allow the engine to stall a bit higher.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
One thing you may consider if doing a converter swap is running a 4.3 converter behind the v8. GM factory parts with that quality, and typically can be had for cheaper than aftermarket units. You'll retain the factory lock-up feel, but the extra power compared to how it's set up for a 4.3 will allow the engine to stall a bit higher.

say what?

Klumpper

Reaction score
I've heard a lot about guys running the converter from a 4.3 v6 behind even stock 350s and having noticeable increases in stall speed. Just a way to use factory parts, retain stock lockup characteristics, and get a bit of a gain off the line.

I believe, but could be wrong, the converters are the same size, but the one set up for the v6 is obviously a bit looser, allowing the less powerful motor to stall at a similar engine speed. Apply more torque, stall speed will go up some amount. Unfortunately, the converter in my wonton is so tight, unless I'm hooked to something heavy, it won't budge much past 1600rpm. But I'm solving this with a 8.1/4l85 swap, probably with a baby cam and port job, once work space allows it.

I've never personally done this v6 converter behind a 350, so please do some homework before delving into this. If I can find more information, I'll post it.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Question Chris,700r4's out right now & getting rebuilt,lost reverse.The cam I chose is 1,500-4,000 RPM.So do you think I can can use a 1,800-2,200 or a 2,400-2,800 would be better?Just want the most I can get out of it.Trucks not a racer,just my personal family fun cruiser.my kids love cruising around town.Was getting 19-21 mpg HWY before with stock converter.
Thanks, Juan

1989 Silverado x-tra cab 350 TBI.2.73 stock gears with 255/60/15 on AR vectors(love them).Added Edelbrock 3704 ,Summit 1102 cam & lifters,Summit 174000 performance upgrade springs kit,FPR,headers,Magnaflow Y-pipe,full 3" exhaust with Thrush welded,Mark8 e-fan,Volant CAI,ported & polished TBI swirl heads myself,3 angle valve job,roller chain,MSD-6A with coil,

You can pick up a brand new converter sourced for a late 90s S10 (with 4.3L) engine that will work just fine. No more than a couple hundred bucks from the dealer.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
I'd go 3.42. It's not as drastic of a change. I have 3.73's. Love em, but it does make the engine rev a fair amount more. Fun around town. Makes for quick pull outs when passing, but it has hurt my mileage. Now, that could also be on the fault of the driver. It's just so much more fun.
If you've got a V8, it'll pull with 3.42's nicely.

Gotta remember though, on pre-94 trucks you have to balance the cost of a gear swap with the effort of either: A) Finding a new cluster with the correct ratio, or B) Gerrymandering your current cluster in the hope you can follow sketchy directions on how to solder in a DIP switch in order to change the speedometer to read correctly.

ChevyBoy13

Reaction score

I've never heard of anyone doing this swap...please explain :popcorn: