Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
We will be sitting down and talking out the plans and schedule, come March. That will be when the shop has been open for 1 year. They are partners and we all have to agree as to what is expected and done on what schedule. The pay amount and how paid will be discussed. A big plus is a lift in the shop. I also don't have to move my tools.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We will be sitting down and talking out the plans and schedule, come March. That will be when the shop has been open for 1 year. They are partners and we all have to agree as to what is expected and done on what schedule. The pay amount and how paid will be discussed. A big plus is a lift in the shop. I also don't have to move my tools.
Maybe it all works out, everybody's happy and making money, you never know. I just went through a thing with a former employer that I did all the body work on several of his personal cars. One resto and few DD's. He called me about doing a car for Sema. I explained to him I can't be on my feet all day, but I could be a project manager of sorts, quality, do a final once over before paint etc. and he still wanted a sit down. After explaining to win Riddler most of those cars are full of one-off pieces and custom sheetmetal work, requiring mills, lathes, brakes, benders,tubing and otherwise, english wheels, planishing hammers etc. every sheet metal tool known to mankind, and to do it in his expected 11 month time frame on an EV platform was unrealistic and that on alot of these cars, guys spend years and few hundred k in parts and labor getting them ready. You don't open a catolog , order parts, assemble it, and win Sema. He took one giant leap backward for all of mankind. He wanted to do other resto work as well. I was game but he backed off. Which was ok too. I'm fine where I'm at. If I actually wanted to be on the floor doing the work, lining them in my driveway so I get to keep all the money wouldn't be an issue. The old bones just won't let me.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As long as I can do all "on my feet without a rack" work, I can go 3-5 days a week but if I have to go to the ground, 1-2 days a week is my limit. I feel fine but I am a little stiffer than I like. No aches, just stiff joints. The less crawling out from under and getting up for this or that, the better. My girl helps with that. I like doing it, so it isn't all about money but I don't work for free, except on my own 3 vehicle corral.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as I can do all "on my feet without a rack" work, I can go 3-5 days a week but if I have to go to the ground, 1-2 days a week is my limit. I feel fine but I am a little stiffer than I like. No aches, just stiff joints. The less crawling out from under and getting up for this or that, the better. My girl helps with that. I like doing it, so it isn't all about money but I don't work for free, except on my own 3 vehicle corral.
I hear that, the up and down off the floor or even up/down off the knees at this point gets me by day 3. i should say half days, some 3 hours, some 5hrs bumpin around. Do it a 4th or 5th day I need help just to get up and do normal things. Leads to much higher pain, muscle spasms and restless nights waking up everytime I shift. Stomach issues and they pulled all my anti-inflammatory/arthritis meds(near max daily dose for years), and never been about the pain pills because some might find hard to believe they make me an amped up irritating, aggravating mess way beyond the amped up, irritating, aggravating mess I normally am. lol Kind of learned my limits and keep inside those. The rest of life outside of trying to get stuff accomplished stays better.

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I hear that, the up and down off the floor or even up/down off the knees at this point gets me by day 3. i should say half days, some 3 hours, some 5hrs bumpin around. Do it a 4th or 5th day I need help just to get up and do normal things. Leads to much higher pain, muscle spasms and restless nights waking up everytime I shift. Stomach issues and they pulled all my anti-inflammatory/arthritis meds(near max daily dose for years), and never been about the pain pills because some might find hard to believe they make me an amped up irritating, aggravating mess way beyond the amped up, irritating, aggravating mess I normally am. lol Kind of learned my limits and keep inside those. The rest of life outside of trying to get stuff accomplished stays better.
If you had to get down and up on bare ground/concrete, that is brutal. When I was young and crawled around and set the lift legs and stands, that was one thing and I was young. When I had times between jobs and tools at home and making money, I hated the bare ground. My girl saved my old ass with the pads I use. It is 80% better than hard concrete/asphalt. Luckily, even though I am 6'4" and 280 lbs., I am in decent shape and the pads sure help. I am gonna turn wrenches as long as I can. I like doing it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear that, the up and down off the floor or even up/down off the knees at this point gets me by day 3.
Hell, I'm lucky to do one bend over, let alone crawling around. I also have Arthritis in my 70 year old hands and back. I can't even make a fist anymore :rolleyes: I do enjoy working on stuff but I rely on my son to set the jack stands, etc.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hell, I'm lucky to do one bend over, let alone crawling around. I also have Arthritis in my 70 year old hands and back. I can't even make a fist anymore :rolleyes: I do enjoy working on stuff but I rely on my son to set the jack stands, etc.
You must be registered for see images attach
Those knuckles look pretty swollen, I had a disc in my neck blow out and pretty much paralyze me on the left side neck down to the foot, ever since the surgery and even occasionally before it, numbness on that side. The dragging foot went away but the dropsies didn't. I used to love working on Harleys, hop-ups, building engines, being involved in the dyno sessions etc. but the dropsies and $300 chromed parts or $10k custom paint don't go together. Paper coffee cups are a disaster, either squeeze them till the lid pops off or they slip out of my hand with no warning. lol The work around that goes to the garage is a yeti style cup that has a handle. lol Gotta have my morning coffee or my whole day is wrecked lol. Left hand dominant and the right one is in play more than ever. better dexterity, feel, and fine motor skills.

ya got keep going to be one that keeps going seems to be the consensus

Last edited:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well, surprise surprise, does not look like I am going to go work at the shop that my friend is half owner in. It looks like they may be expanding to a bigger shop and they will want a full time line tech and I don't want that. Initially that situation was for some tech work and some advisor work, I wanted just part time. All good and no hard feelings.

BUT, today I got a notice from Indeed, from a shop owner that I had interviewed at for a full time service advisor job about 5 months ago. We had a good interview and he knew all the shops I had managed before and was aware of me in the local industry. His ad back then had stated that the pay scale was $40k to $55k a year. He asked how much I would work for and I told him that the $55k was it. He balked and I reminded him of my many years of experience and if I did not measure up after 60 days, let me go. He said he would think about it. Needless to say, after all this time and seeing the ad at Indeed go away and then come back I assumed he hired someone and they did not work out. He reached out thru Indeed and asked to see me again. I looked up his ad at Indeed and the pay scale is now $50k to $60k. I am supposed to call him some time this morning and he wants to talk to me again. I am going to stick to my $55k pay scale and see what he says. I would not be by myself. He is the owner and writes service too and has an office manager lady that helps with the flow and paperwork. I did not know before but he has added some more lifts and now has 18 bays. He even has lifts for larger commercial trucks and motorhomes. If I was going to be doing any tech work at the other shop, I wanted only part time but as a full fledged service advisor, I can do the full time.