Parking Brake Sticking??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
So story is My buddies truck is a 97 c1500 I believe.
Reguardless, His driver side rear wheel is locking up and will not spin. The motor trys to spin it and it just cant break it free of whatever is happening inside the drum.

It locks up when the parking brake is not being pushed down, however, if he mashes down the Parking Brake and then releases it over and over again the wheel will eventually break free.
The owner said it did this a few times and rocking the truck broke it free but now messing with the Parking Brake is the only thing that successfully brakes the wheel loose(if it even does)
The wheel locks up almost any time that the truck is at a complete stop now.

I am going over there Tuesday to take the drum off and see if we can figure it out because it is now almost impossible to drive.
Any ideas I should look out for or is there and adjustment on the Parking Brake. I know you can adjust the shoes.
Just kinda working on ideas until I can see what I am dealing with

Thanks

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very likely that you'll need to replace the brake cable o that side, usually that's what the problem is. Less commonly it could be a seized wheel cylinder.

Basically pull it all apart and see what's going on, make sure everything moves the way it should and replace anything that leaks. A bad axel seal for example can cause the brake linings to swell and cause all sorts of interesting braking issues.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
What would cause the cable to be activated though, He isnt pessing the Parking Brake at all. And I dont thing that a slightly loose cable would lock up the wheel as hard as it is locking up. The wheel gets almost zero movement and locks up solid.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
So if he puts it in drive and moves forward, the tire just skids without turning?

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
So if he puts it in drive and moves forward, the tire just skids without turning?

Correct. The Pass side kick in and spins though.

I ended up having to drag him back to his place a little bit.
Luckily it was snow packed most the way

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Correct. The Pass side kick in and spins though.

I ended up having to drag him back to his place a little bit.
Luckily it was snow packed most the way

That makes me think it's not the parking brake because you can drive just fine with the parking brake on

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
That makes me think it's not the parking brake because you can drive just fine with the parking brake on

Really? I thought that locked the rear wheels up. I just didnt know due to it being just one and when messing with it the wheel will eventually spin.

Maybe there is a rock or something inside the drum.

My first step is going to be tear it apart and see what we have. Just wish I could get it to my garage accross town ha

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
My first guess would be a severely worn drum... To the point of being grooved. Like the brake shoe is going up inside said groove and getting stuck there. But no way to Tell for sure until you pull that bad boy apart.

Sent from the big block!

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a seized wheel cylinder. I've seen it before on a k1500. Rear wheel seized as my coworker was bringing it into the building, the truck jerked sideways into the bay door suddenly and wiped out the fender flare.

Working the e brake back and forth might be enough to get the wheel cylinder pistons to retract slightly so that it frees up.

Also the lining may have broken free of the brake shoe and now there could be chunks floating around inside the drum, seen that too. That's why I avoid bonded shoes and buy riveted when possible.

Just throwing ideas at you bases on some experience. You'll have to pull it apart and give it a good inspection.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.