Parking Brake Adjust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my 99 OBS K1500 to Les Schwab today for two rear brake problems and they didn't resolve either so I need your help. The first is the access hole in the backing plate for the adjuster. They tried several ways of punching it out and gave up cause they didn't want to bend the backing plate. So, what's the best way to remove those things?
Second, I wanted them to adjust the parking brake but they said there is no adjustment and the cables are just stretched out. My pedal goes to the floor with very little brake engagement. Will not hold even a slow Idie roll. I see an adjustment where the passenger side cable splits off from the main cable but I don't see any adjustment for the main cable which runs from the cab to the drivers side wheel. Is there no adjustment for that side?

Brad

Last edited:

Mr_white_obs

Reaction score
Hey Brad, as far as i know there is no adjustment for the park brake cable unless it is on the pedal itself.
Some companies sell something called a "brake cable adjuster" designed to get eliminate that slack for really cheap (Dorman number 03006 at my local parts store for like $5). they simply tighten over the cable. We've used them before in the shop here in a pinch, but they aren't ideal.
You must be registered for see images attach

however, park brake cables are fairly in expensive for these trucks, and if you change it yourself it would be the ideal solution, assuming your park brake cable is actually stretched and your shoes aren't just worn out.

As for the access hole, i have never tried to take a plug out myself. If it's seized, I would think to try slight heat and penetrating oil to try to pry it out. You could always take the drum off and try get it from the other side with a punch.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Hey Brad, as far as i know there is no adjustment for the park brake cable unless it is on the pedal itself.
Some companies sell something called a "brake cable adjuster" designed to get eliminate that slack for really cheap (Dorman number 03006 at my local parts store for like $5). they simply tighten over the cable. We've used them before in the shop here in a pinch, but they aren't ideal.
You must be registered for see images attach

however, park brake cables are fairly in expensive for these trucks, and if you change it yourself it would be the ideal solution, assuming your park brake cable is actually stretched and your shoes aren't just worn out.

As for the access hole, i have never tried to take a plug out myself. If it's seized, I would think to try slight heat and penetrating oil to try to pry it out. You could always take the drum off and try get it from the other side with a punch.

The parking brake cables ARE adjustable on these trucks

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I adjusted the cable where it splits off right under the drivers door but I don't see how that tightens both sides evenly but it does work much better now.

As far as the access hole, there is no rubber plug. There's just an indentation in the backing plate where you can punch it out (in) and then install a rubber plug. He beat on it pretty hard and then used an air hammer/chisel with no luck. If I took it all apart and layed the backing plate down on a flat surface maybe I could hit it harder without bending it. But with it on the truck it flexes when you hit it. Any ideas for doing it while on the truck?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got failed for inspection for the clip on doo-dad. Your results in your municipality may vary. lol

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The parts stores sell plastic plugs for when you knock out the adjustment holes in the drum backing plates. Easy peasy. The parking brake is absolutely adjustable, just in front of the LR wheel of every GMT400 ever built.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FIRST thing you need to know about adjusting the park brake, is that you'd better have the service brakes adjusted properly before you dick with the cables.

I've fixed a lot of goofy "brake problems" by loosening the over-tightened cables, and then putting the service brake adjustment where it should have been. This can fix grabby brakes, unusual wear patterns, pedal-feel issues, and pedal-height problems

On Duo-Servo rear drums, the shoes (both of them) MUST rest on the anchor-pin at the top. It's real easy to crank the park brake cable tight enough that the shoes won't both touch the anchor pin, and then all sorts of evil things happen. The service-brake adjuster is at the bottom, between the lower ends of the two shoes. The star wheel and lever need to be not worn-out, and the threads can't be seized.

With the crappy double-leading-shoe design on the 1500s, there is no anchor pin at the top, and it's harder to tell that the park brake is over-tightened. It's also SUPREMELY EASY for the rear shoes to be out of adjustment, since almost no-one uses the park brake regularly any more. The best solution, of course, is to scrap the double leading shoe design for an axle and brakes off of a light-duty 2500 with Duo-Servo brakes. The second-best solution is to verify that the adjuster (just under the wheel cylinder) and the lever that moves it are in proper position and in good working order.

Having said all that, yes, cables can stretch over time. IF (big IF) the service brakes are adjusted properly (and you'll absolutely have to verify that the double-leading shoe design is properly adjusted) then go ahead and tighten the cables and see what happens.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as the access hole, there is no rubber plug. There's just an indentation in the backing plate where you can punch it out (in) and then install a rubber plug.

The "Knock-Out" is stamped into the backing plate and is designed to be removed, then yes, a rubber plug installed. The knock out is Hinged in the middle, both top and bottom, so go for the far ends with a nice large punch. No need for a cold chisel. Just position the punch on the tab at the end, then hit it. I have removed hundred of these doing brake jobs from the mid 60's going forward. Once they break loose on one end, grab it with side cutters and bend back & forth until it breaks off.
As other have said, make sure the "Star" wheel adjustor is free, perhaps some anti-sieze, but adjust and turn the drum until it becomes too tight for comfort, then back off. A small thin flat blade screwdriver is used to hold the advancing arm of, then turn the opposite way to back off a little. If your drums have NO outer groove, then they should still come off while rotating with your hands. On the back side of each shoe, there are 3 spots that the shoes backing plate (Under the friction) has a "V" shaped spot on both sides. The backing plate can wear in this area and create a groove so big, the shoes will catch on them. Replacement use to be normal, but a 4 1/2" angel grinder held just right can dress these 6 spots on the backing plate. The pads new have a cross-hatch pattern, but if ground of, still place a drop of high-temp brake lube on this area.
The park brake cable will stick inside the metal wrap housing before they stretch. Check this as well. Only one all-thread looking adjustor is provided while the passengers side, simply slide thru a semi-circle loop as to self adjust for both sides. Some axle grease will help this slider held to the frame by a simple wire hook.
As for a pedal that hits near the carpet, I would be check the front disc to make sure the calipers are rust free within the holding frame to be able to slide in and out. A wire wheel on both items with high-temp grease should always be applied here. If the stick bad, the inside pad wears first, while the out-board pad just sits there. Calipers can be repaired for $5 per side with a rebuilt kit. I you have compressed air, place a 1/2 - 3/4" piece of wood or metal plate on the out-board pads side, hit with air, piston comes out. We use that have races in the shop as ever caliper came apart. Once the piston is out, if chrome plated, inspect for loose plating or rust areas and replace if needed. The bottom of the caliper is the bottom of the bucket. This is where all of the junk collects, you will be shocked if these are original and wonder how they worked. Brake spray and green scotch-brite will clean the bore nicely.
The lathe-cut or flat seal goes in first, then using brake assembly grease, lube the seal, bore, then slide the piston inward. The outer seal has to be driven into place, just the outer edge. It really helps to have a seal driver. If rebuilt, or new re-mans, either way need the holding frame clean, greased and the caliper sliding with ease. The lathe-cut or flat seal will retract the piston a little as it twist when applied. It pulls the piston and releases the pads just enough to allow the rotors to move freely, but the pads are close by and do not require a long pedal travel to engage.

The brakes are a system and if one thing is wrong, it will effect the entire system feel and operation. This include the condition of rusty lines, hoses and especially any recent work.

I do not know Les Schwab, but techs who worked there do change. Some know more than others and maybe have not only more experience but ASE Certification / perhaps a Master Tech. I usually started my visual inspection of their work first to add in my ability to correctly diagnose the Root Cause and not just the symptom.

If you told them the (Customers Complaint) is the rear brakes did not work (Braking or park only or both) and they drove it with the pedal going near the floor, then charged you and they gave it back to you without a suggestion of proper repair, then I would not ever go back there again.

There is a residual line pressure device in the master cylinders rear brake port behind the metal insert to seat a double flare / inverted flare, that keeps about 10 PSI to keep the wheel cylinder cups inflated. The proportioning valve holds off rear brake pressure as to apply the fronts first, then rears second. It also moves an internal valve the effects you brake switch. It turns the light on with the park brake off. If pressure has changed so much, the light will come on, indicating a loss of pressure.

So if anything, due to my post, place understand there is a lot enfolded with brakes as a system and a lot for a Good Tech to know!

Please tell us and I will follow the "Thread". Best of luck!