Paint question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This last weekend my wife, color matched my grille and bumper for me. I’m not one for detail and tedious work, that’s her area of expertise. She sanded and primed the bumper and grille with with gray primer and painted it victory red. That’s the paint code for my truck. It looks great but the bumper and grille are a shade or two brighter than the rest of the truck. My question is, in order to get the same darkness and “depth” my truck color has, should a black primer be used? The paint on my truck is original from 98. It was a California truck all it’s life until I bought it.
She used 3 coats of clear too.
You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This last weekend my wife, color matched my grille and bumper for me. I’m not one for detail and tedious work, that’s her area of expertise. She sanded and primed the bumper and grille with with gray primer and painted it victory red. That’s the paint code for my truck. It looks great but the bumper and grille are a shade or two brighter than the rest of the truck. My question is, in order to get the same darkness and “depth” my truck color has, should a black primer be used? The paint on my truck is original from 98. It was a California truck all it’s life until I bought it.
She used 3 coats of clear too.
You must be registered for see images attach
Looks good on camera, I'm sure the difference is much more vivid in real life. I'd like to do this to my truck as well, let me know what you find.

My experience with previous paint repair is that the quality of the paint matters, as does how many coats you use. I had to use 4-5 light coats to match a large scrape my wife did on her old car a few years back. I wasn't an expert, and you could tell by the edges where it blended into the original paint, but if I had done the entire panel, I think it would have been unnoticeable. I used scratch wizard, picked it up on Amazon for $50 including a can of clear coat. More expensive than duplicolor, but I tried that first, and the metallic didn't match up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on how the paint was mixed and the variants to the color. If she got it from a paint store who mixed the color they probably just mixed the standard variant of the color when they could have been other variants to the color that were darker or lighter, more red, more orange and so on. If she used just a spray bomb of color that they mixed or didn't mix most likely wouldn't get a color match exactly. Primer will have a little bit of an effect on color but not much as most times you have to spray enough coats to cover the primer so you don't see it through the paint. Also age of the paint on your truck might be faded abit which would affect the color difference. Too many variables here to say what would help would need to know more of the operation used, like was it all spray bomb materials ,was it done with two part paint and clear and a spray gun because if it was spray bomb the clear isn't gonna lay out and be glossy like it will out of a paint gun which would affect the depth look you are asking about, not to say you can't get a good gloss with a spray bomb just don't have the adjustment or fine tuning like a paint gun.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The color of the primer will effect the final coats dark/light effects in some cases and if you don't believe that spray something with gray primer and then spray a spot with black primer over the gray and top coat it with red and watch the black spot bleed through and see the difference ... If you want a darker tone to the red use a black primer the shade will be different. I had a Malibu that had been painted 944 Porsche red, with gray primer being used... Later a cowl hood done in black primer and painted with the same color code out of the same batch and it had a darker tone over the black primer. Just my two cents from an experience I had.

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The color of the primer will effect the final coats dark/light effects in some cases and if you don't believe that spray something with gray primer and then spray a spot with black primer over the gray and top coat it with red and watch the black spot bleed through and see the difference ... If you want a darker tone to the red use a black primer the shade will be different. I had a Malibu that had been painted 944 Porsche red, with gray primer being used... Later a cowl hood done in black primer and painted with the same color code out of the same batch and it had a darker tone over the black primer. Just my two cents from an experience I had.

Yes absolutly it will bleed through and affect the color if not enough coats of paint are applied over top to cover the black primer. Most painters would do a spray out card before painting and these spray out cards have some variation of white with a black stripe and you paint over it and keep adding coats until you can't see the black stripe anymore and that tells you how many coats you need to cover the black, also most paint companies will tell you what shade of sealer to use under the paint so your not putting 10 coats of paint to cover. Just my opinion as a fully licensed autobody tech and been in the trade close to 15 years

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes absolutly it will bleed through and affect the color if not enough coats of paint are applied over top to cover the black primer. Most painters would do a spray out card before painting and these spray out cards have some variation of white with a black stripe and you paint over it and keep adding coats until you can't see the black stripe anymore and that tells you how many coats you need to cover the black, also most paint companies will tell you what shade of sealer to use under the paint so your not putting 10 coats of paint to cover. Just my opinion as a fully licensed autobody tech and been in the trade close to 15 years
Absolutely and some times it takes a little time for a bleed through.. what appears to be covered today can change over time as paint cures out.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While at UTI, we had a paint-mix set up. The list of colors in grams with the smallest amount first goes into the can. Let's say your RED. First, blue, yellow, green, then came red. The can was half full, the rest was the binder resins of choice like acrylic. At this point you have about 50% pigment, but it depends on each color and the amount of pigment in them. So actually, you end up with less than 50% pigment. The resins are activated using a chemical at a ratio to give you 4 hours of pot time, then solvents that control the speed at which the paint dries, but in reality, it evaporates quickly, regularly or slowly. This combination of evaporation, chemical cross-linking leaves the pigment behind. Yes, this professional paint, yet each has it's own amount of pigment that covers black or gray primer. A rattle can work great for you exact repair, because light plays on the pigment and reflect back to you eye in different directions. Yes, we all know this, but how much pigment or solids are in the can.
To conclude, it's the pigment that covers the sealer that was not used, but has to cover primer regardless of color. This is why a good paint booth has good lighting and the cans instruction sheet says spray to achieve coverage. So whether is a $500 spray gun or $12 rattle can, the amount of solids of the pigment used, determine how many coats are required. A quality chemical cross-link acrylic resin cost more than the pigment, but the total amount of actual pigment can increase the total cost of the paint by the gallon or can.
If you have good temperature exposure, many say wait 30 days, then sand the area with 400 grit, pre-clean before & after sanding, tack rag should be hung up to dry out a little before use (Place in a sealed coffee can to reuse later), tape off the re-spray. You're going to have to get pigment on the repair and with good light, stop and look for color match. Use the back-tape trick to roll backward about 3/4" each pass will help eliminate a spray line (Used for clear blending), but use that opportunity to check color match to see if more coats are required until happy. Stop, let it flash, carefully pull the tape back a little more to expose 1500 grit on the OEM clear, then finish with the clear. Just my suggestion.
Note: We had a painter at the dealer, who could match 15 year old dark brown metallic so perfect, you could not tell. I had to ask...he told me that after the color is tack / dust free, I would back the car out into the sunshine and look at it. I could see dark or lighter or match, so if not real close or perfect, I change the distance and direction of the gun for the final application, repeat. Once good, then I would clear it with one light coat at 30% overlap, then let it flash twice a long. This would allow the metal flake to hold their position, then finish it. Worked every time. But with solids, it match, amount of solids and where you start, push it one direction, then move and pull it to you. This eliminates a dry stop but allows the chemical melting to be eliminated.
Best of luck, hope it helps!

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Needs15 yes she used a rattle can, duplicolor. Since that pic was taking I ditched the red grille and put an all black one on. The black grille with the red bumper and black impact strip looks great. IMO. I’m saving now for a full repaint bumpers and all. Got a bunch of quotes, ranging from $1300 to $7000.

Needs15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Needs15 yes she used a rattle can, duplicolor. Since that pic was taking I ditched the red grille and put an all black one on. The black grille with the red bumper and black impact strip looks great. IMO. I’m saving now for a full repaint bumpers and all. Got a bunch of quotes, ranging from $1300 to $7000.

well she did a pretty damn good job with a rattlecan from what I can see in the picture. Are you talking a full truck repaint or just a front end, I will tell you as you probably know you get what you pay for in the autobody industry, if somebody quoted you 1300 to do a complete don't waste your money you'll have issues in no time. My best advice is to do a little homework, ask around see who gets recommended try and find some of the work they have done and go from there. Best of luck

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well she did a pretty damn good job with a rattlecan from what I can see in the picture. Are you talking a full truck repaint or just a front end, I will tell you as you probably know you get what you pay for in the autobody industry, if somebody quoted you 1300 to do a complete don't waste your money you'll have issues in no time. My best advice is to do a little homework, ask around see who gets recommended try and find some of the work they have done and go from there. Best of luck

I’ll tell her you said that.

I’m talking about getting the whole truck done. The place that quoted $1300 they do a lot of repaints for dealers around where I live for used vehicles on their lots. I’ve seen some of their paint jobs after 2 years it looks good, will it last 5 years, probably not lol.

The shop that quoted me $7k claims they take all the doors off, paint the Jams, take the hood off take the bed off paint in between and paint everything. Every part that can come off the truck gets taken off and painted.

Trust me I know you get what you pay for. I do HVAC for a living. I tell people all the time, being cheap now will cost you In the long run. I guess I should live by my own words. LOL. I’m just going to save up and find a reputable place to paint it all for me. If I spend $3-5k on a paint job that will last me 10 years I’ll be happy with that.