P1345 camshaft/crankshaft correaltion fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know how to do it. this is how: (my question is at the bottom)

Okay, before you start up the truck, go ahead and loosen the distributor hold down JUST A LITTLE BIT, you want it to keep the distributor lightly in place, but not too tight so you can turn the distributor body by hand. With the rough alignment in part 1 complete, your truck should be able to run. Go ahead and start the truck and let it idle, connect the scanner to your OBDII port, a long cord will be very helpful as you'll want to view the data live as you're trying to set the cam postion. Start up the scanner and connect it to the PCM so it shows the live PCM data, make sure it is properly showing the CMP retard offset data. Run the scanner or laptop out to the engine compartment and find a safe and viewable place to prop it up while you get ready to adjust the distributor body. Have a friend get in the cab and rev and hold the engine at 1000-1200RPM, if using EFILive, the Bidirectional controls can be set to hold the RPM to that value, you want to keep the RPMs above 1000, but not higher than 1200. Watch the scanner data while the engine is held at that RPM, you'll see the CMP offset is a number readout in degrees. You want it to be as close to zero as possible, but it is VERY sensitive, so being directly on zero may not be possible, anywhere from -2 degrees to +2 degrees is within specification. Go ahead and adjust the distributor body clockwise or couterclockwise while watching the CMP offset live data, once you get it set to spec, go ahead and tighten down the distributor hold down, keep watching the CMP offset while you tighten it to ensure that the correct setting retained until the distributor is solidly held down.

anyway how do I know if the code reader will do this before I buy one? I have to buy one off the matco truck cause I don't have the money to pay cash for one..

thanks

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to make my connector almost facing directly at the fire wall straight back from the motor, if you live near Fort Worth and your reasonably drivable I could bring my tech2 home, and do it in about 5 minutes for you, although my datebook and 3 other scanners different buddies had would not do what I needed it to, and all of them showed live data.

Gambles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
that's how mines set and it's dead on zero, don't know that that will help you, although if you hit it in spec the light will clear its self I believe, although that might have been because of my tune.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
There are marks on the part the rotor button bolts to and distributor housing under the cap.

It needs to be like this with the engine at TDC.
You must be registered for see images attach