Overheating issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nope,
working good one day, next same symptom as you, pegs guage when cold in about 5 min's, thermostat opens, cools down, repeat 2 or 3 times, then runs about normal operating temp.
verified temp guage is correct and changed thermostat, stock 195 degree.

Reaction score
nope,
working good one day, next same symptom as you, pegs guage when cold in about 5 min's, thermostat opens, cools down, repeat 2 or 3 times, then runs about normal operating temp.
verified temp guage is correct and changed thermostat, stock 195 degree.
Honestly, I’m not 100% sure what was causing my issue. I ended up needing head gaskets and a bunch of other stuff and it ended up fixing it for a while. Now it will get up to temp and drop down after driving for a short time. Not sure if it’s just the way these gauges read or what.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Honestly, I’m not 100% sure what was causing my issue. I ended up needing head gaskets and a bunch of other stuff and it ended up fixing it for a while. Now it will get up to temp and drop down after driving for a short time. Not sure if it’s just the way these gauges read or what.
My van has always shown halfway between fhe large 1/4 hash and 210 on the gauge briefly before the thermostat opens, then settles down at the 1/4 mark. 170°F thermostat and generally it runs 176-182°F at the PCM verified by IR on the thermostat housing. With a stock 195°F I could see that spike being 210°F before it opens.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your problem might have been a bad headgasket from the beginning. That can cause overheating ...and overpressurization of the cooling system. Have you been hearing a 'gurgling' noise in your heater core at all before you did the HG?

Also, its real important to get a 'good' thermostat. The quality of mainstream low-buck T-stats has gone down. That's not one part to cheapen out on.

Glad you got your rig back on the road.