Overheating issue...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I’ve got a 95 Sierra I just replaced manifold gaskets on. I also replaced the thermostat just cause they’re cheap and why not... I bled the system of air a few times though I’m confident the first time worked as no air came out after that I just wanted to be sure. But, (there’s always a but) for whatever reason after initial start up say in the morning or after work it wants to overheat once getting up to temperature and shooting way past into the ”check gauges” territory. So I shut it off and pull over wait a few minutes maybe a bit less and start it up again and bam instantly shoots back to below 210. (It’s a 195 thermostat). Any suggestions. Don’t think it’s a head gasket as it’s a pretty fresh rebuild.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a BRA-330-195 from Summit Racing. It is pressure balanced to prevent that from happening.
I have one of those in my 5.7L it does lag a little opening but doesn't go that high. It'll hit about 212* (on the gauge) then drop down to ~208* operating temp. My ECM only sees ~197* opening and then 194* operating. Not only is the gauge questionable but, it's reading between 2 cylinders in the head, not the water jacket. :33:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a BRA-330-195 from Summit Racing. It is pressure balanced to prevent that from happening.
Ehhhh...That's essentially what I put in my Toronado. Did exactly as the OP described--overheated from cold, popped open, good for the rest of the drive.

"Pressure balanced" doesn't mean it can't be defective.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have one of those in my 5.7L it does lag a little opening but doesn't go that high. It'll hit about 212* (on the gauge) then drop down to ~208* operating temp. My ECM only sees ~197* opening and then 194* operating. Not only is the gauge questionable but, it's reading between 2 cylinders in the head, not the water jacket. :33:
Same here. When first reaching operating temperature it will shoot up past 210, for about 2-3 seconds, then drop back to operating temperature and stay there. It's a 195 thermostat.