Overflow container detailing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Any tricks on cleaning the inside of the coolant overflow container?
The one on my truck could look nicer and has no cracks

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen people use bleach and boiling water to clean them. Another thing you can do is put rice in there with water and shake it around and that will help loosen up anything that might be stuck in a hard to reach spot.

There are videos on YT about this process. My favorite one shows all kinds of methods that don’t work the greatest and they end up just buying a new overflow jug.

I think LMC sells an overflow. @johnckhall just got a new one for his truck.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Il check YouTube and see how clean I can get it. Now that I received the washer overflow you shipped me in such good shape, it brings out how bad the coolant overflow is lol

Attachments

• IMG_9925.jpeg
    IMG_9925.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 4

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I’ve seen people use bleach and boiling water to clean them. Another thing you can do is put rice in there with water and shake it around and that will help loosen up anything that might be stuck in a hard to reach spot.

There are videos on YT about this process. My favorite one shows all kinds of methods that don’t work the greatest and they end up just buying a new overflow jug.

I think LMC sells an overflow. @johnckhall just got a new one for his truck.

I purchased my window washer fluid reservoir from LMC. The coolant overflow was a Dorman replacement from Amazon. It's way too easy and cheap to replace with new than to go to the trouble of cleaning. You're removing to clean it, so might as well replace it. Of course , the only exception would be if you wanted to keep everything OEM.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Man call me picky but I hate that they put the Dorman logo right there on the front!!

That right there would have me picking the SKP.. few bucks cheaper, no Dorman logo. ;)

What's funny is most of the listings for the Dorman must have an older picture as there's no logo on the tank, just their watermark on the pic.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I poured about a 1/4 cup of muriatic acid and about a pint of water in mine. Swished it around and rinsed it out thoroughly with water. It doesn't do anything for the normal discoloration but it is clean enough to eat out of.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Man call me picky but I hate that they put the Dorman logo right there on the front!!

That right there would have me picking the SKP.. few bucks cheaper, no Dorman logo. ;)

What's funny is most of the listings for the Dorman must have an older picture as there's no logo on the tank, just their watermark on the pic.

Richard
I saw that as soon as I opened the box. I wasn't too happy with that either, given how stock/oem I've tried to keep my truck. I could have returned it to Amazon, but I got over it and installed it anyway. :33: