opinions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
ok so I'm planning to do a vortec head swap later on, but I have access to some heads right now for free. the only question is this, the vortec heads are from a 305 my truck is a 350 tbi. I thought I've read somewhere about people using the 305 heads on a 350 back in the day to up the compression. is this something that can be done? will it work well, or would it be just a giant waste of time and I should just hold out till I can buy some 350 vortec heads?

Sent from my static android

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would wait for a set of 350 heads personally. Depending on what pistons are in your engine now you might have to run premium gas all the time due to the higher compression.

I had a set on my 78 for a while an was always fighting detonation/pinging unless I ran good 93 gas. Finally one of the keepers let go on the #4 cylinder an the piston ate the valve. Ruined the head an that cylinder had to be sleeved. It runs better imo now with the 350 heads an has just as much power as it did. I went with a bigger cam an flat top pistons on the rebuild though. Also had to go .060" over to clean the rest up from the crappy bore job that was originally done on it.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Dawm, i wish i could help! i know that 305 heads on a 350 does up your compression ratio. I had looked into this as well, and on other forums and stuff, guys where saying it wasnt worth it. Because it would end up being about the same power ratio. But if you did visa versa, 350 heads on a 305, aparently that gives abit more power with the right cam and stuff. So many do a quick google search?

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
eh I suppose ill just hold out for 350 heads I'm going to do the heads, a decent cam, ultimate tbi mods, new timing set, and a few other goodies when the time comes

Sent from my static android