Opinions on reusing a 4 bolt vortec block.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Buickman70

Reaction score
Hello, i am new to this forum, and am looking for opinions about reusing a 4-bolt vortec 350 block. I recently bought a '99 k2500 CCSB with a vortec 350. Long story short is that i found this gem on craigslist, flew 600 miles from illinois to pick it up and once i get to tulsa I find out the truck has a slight miss to it and doesnt have very good oil presssure. Against my better judgement, I buy the truck anyway and start heading back to illinois. The miss turns into a worse miss and starts backfiring when decelerating. Just trying to make it home the condition gets worse to the point that after about 300 miles it was backfiring so bad that I barely made it to a town with a hotel. I ended up having the truck hauled home the rest of the way on a flat bed. We got it running better (crank sensor, distributor had been loose and bent), but it has a slight rod knock and bad oil pressure. I bought a 90k mile 2 bolt vortec to replace it. I would like to build a mild 383 for it. I put the original engine through hell with all the backfiring and missing it endured. Should i find a different block or reuse the 4 bolt that went trough hell? sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your thoughts.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is nothing that I would worry about. If you were concerned though you can always have the block magnafluxed.