"Ol' Red" The Build of a '93 Silverado!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zs_Silverado

Reaction score
So welcome to the beginning of what I'm hoping to be an extensive write up of my build into this little Silverado I picked up. I've been wanting something that had some fixing needed and I finally came across it, which came in the form of a 1993 Chevy Silverado with a 5.7L TBI 350. It's an automatic, and with 210k miles, it needs some work, but I picked up it for cheap so I'm ready to begin the project! Now, as it sits right now, it has a terrible hesitation when driving, but the truck was sitting for about 5 months so obviously it'll need a tune-up, which is where I'll start. After the truck is in running and driving condition, I'm going to begin working on the interior, which includes fixing the cracked dash, installing missing parts, and maybe even a little custom fab as well. Then when I'm at least 75 percent complete with the interior, I'll move to the suspension, which I plan to get everything that might've been overlooked during the maintenance period on point, then install a 2 inch suspension lift for a decent look. Complementing that with a decent set of 33s most likely, I believe it'll give it a good stance. Then I'll continue on with finishing the interior and begin exterior work.

I'm copying these first four posts from a blog I started that I couldn't get to go in chronological order, so they may seem a little weird. Bare with me here.

We'll just call this a little "before" picture

You must be registered for see images attach

Zs_Silverado

Reaction score
So, after doing a little research and getting some helpful advice, I decided to go ahead and get a new fuel filter to see if I could fix the hesitation in throttle. After about half an hour and a few ounces of gas in the face, the new fuel filter was on and the truck was running better than ever! So, now that I've got it running good, it'll be taking a trip to the local gas station to fill up with brand new gasoline to help wash out that 6 month old gas. Would've taken it to a gas station today, however without a headlight switch I wasn't able to test drive it long. But throttle response is amazing now.

Zs_Silverado

Reaction score
I didn't really do much today aside from basic maintenance. I was able to snatch up a new window regulator and motor attached to the internal door panel or whatever you want to call it. Bolted in pretty easily, minus a track issue I was having. Got all my switches working correctly, including my headlight switch. Need a couple more things before she's technically road worthy.

Anyhow, I found an old Cherry Bomb Extreme I had lying around from my old 85 GMC that I took off, and the truck needs a new muffler, so looks like I found my replacement.

Zs_Silverado

Reaction score
So, a little more progress. This time, with pictures! So, I went down to Dallas in an Oldsmobile to pick up a new bench seat for my truck. Now, the truck originally came with bucket seats, but I've always liked the bench seat over the bucket seats anyhow. So, first thing this morning I got to work.

Getting the old seats out was a small chore. It looks like the bolts got gunked up with something, so unbolting wasn't fun.

After a little work, both seats had finally come out and it was time for a little carpet cleaning. The carpet directly beneath the seats wasn't that bad, but the rest needed the cleaning bad.

Notice the air fresheners? Yeah, had to get a new scent going in the truck. Anyways, as I was cleaning the truck, I decided to cut out the sub wires from the PO that you see in the top right of the last picture. During the cutting, I found a little mini relic lying around.

A ton of the original documentation for the truck, along with the manual, but the manual was in pieces.

Replacing the seats with a bench was relatively easy. Had a little small issue getting the bolt holes to line up but after a little coersion, bolted right up. Now, I got a bench in place where my two broken bucket seats were.

Next fixes include fixing my radiator, which cracked open on a test drive last week. Decided to replace it with a radiator without an engine oil cooler, and delete the oil cooler to replace it with a drop-down oil filter.

Zs_Silverado

Reaction score
It's been a busy month for me personally, work has been fun with the holidays! So, small update.

Radiator is fixed, truck is roadworthy again. Performed some small fixes and maintenance things here and there. Nothing special to report on. Finishing up the maintenance soon, then it's off to the races with mods!