Oil system priming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bjeralds

Reaction score
I've done some searching and can not find the answer I am looking for. I recently bought a 94 k1500 5.7 with a blown head gasket.

I had the heads surfaced and a valve job done and am reassembling the engine now. I wanted to make sure the lifters are pumped up before adjusting the valves so I rented a priming tool.

After several minutes of priming I am not getting oil to the rockers and oil is coming out of the distributor hole.
I just want to know if this is due to the priming tool design and it not directing oil to the galleys or if it's possibly the oil pump.
I'm not familiar with the oil system on these engines.

Pressure before teardown was around 30 which I assume was due to water in the oil.

All opinions are welcome. I just want to make sure I don't have a bigger problem. Thanks, Ben.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
The best way to prime a small block is with a spare distributor...you must have a housing in place , to direct the oil to the passages,otherwise you won't get oil up top. Take a old,spare distributor, drive out roll pin from gear, remove gear and mechanical advance plate, weld a 9\16 nut on top, if you don't have a welder mix up some jb weld and secure nut with that, after it cures,put it in motor,without the gear,now you can spin dizzy with a drill . ..hope this helps,,,if you have any questions or need help fell free to send a p.m., send a cell number I'll call you back,,cheers

bjeralds

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've been busy at work and haven't had time to get back on here. At woody, I may try to pick up a distributor or just lube it well during reassembly.

And Steve, I used something almost identical to that but it wasn't getting to the rockers.

But as long as it has good pressure when I crank it I think it will be good.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Steve, I used something almost identical to that but it wasn't getting to the rockers.

But as long as it has good pressure when I crank it I think it will be good.

That's to bad, I had no problem getting oil to my rockers...... Maybe you need a bigger drill lol

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I used one from Autozone's loan-a-tool program.Being a big block it took a while to get oil everywhere.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
try turning the crank 1/4 turn after a few minutes,,then turn 1/4 turn again,,repeat a few times should do the trick,,