Oil Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I may have to go to the full synth on my trucks, if I keep having problems getting the QS red label blend in 10W40 or 10W30. I can barely find the 5 quart jug, let alone the single quarts. Each truck takes close to 6 quarts when I fill the filter.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really want to go down the oil rabbit hole, check out Bob is the oil guy website. Personally I run 15-40 white bottle rotella and a wix regular filter in my unknown mileage, sounds like a diesel, fluctuating oil pressure vortec.

Amsoil signature in all of my bosses personal vehicles and either Mobil 1 or house brand synthetic in his fleet trucks. With wix filters. Recommend weights.

Mobil 1 or royal purple in my 2012 Tahoe with the synthetic wix filter. Recommend weight.

Redline in all three in my Harley with a wix.

If it gets really hot where you are and/or you’re not very disciplined in changing your oil routinely I would run synthetic. High mileage oils will sometimes soften seals to “help stop leaks” so if you fixed all your leaks I wouldn’t run a “high mileage” oil.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you really want to go down the oil rabbit hole, check out Bob is the oil guy website. Personally I run 15-40 white bottle rotella and a wix regular filter in my unknown mileage, sounds like a diesel, fluctuating oil pressure vortec.

Amsoil signature in all of my bosses personal vehicles and either Mobil 1 or house brand synthetic in his fleet trucks. With wix filters. Recommend weights.

Mobil 1 or royal purple in my 2012 Tahoe with the synthetic wix filter. Recommend weight.

Redline in all three in my Harley with a wix.

If it gets really hot where you are and/or you’re not very disciplined in changing your oil routinely I would run synthetic. High mileage oils will sometimes soften seals to “help stop leaks” so if you fixed all your leaks I wouldn’t run a “high mileage” oil.

My understanding of a high mileage oil is that it meets an API spec that's older than the current one.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding of a high mileage oil is that it meets an API spec that's older than the current one.
Not arguing with you but don’t the current API standards exceed previous? Or are they different? I know there’s different standards for different oils, but comparing apples to apples

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not arguing with you but don’t the current API standards exceed previous? Or are they different? I know there’s different standards for different oils, but comparing apples to apples

Older specs in some ways are better for older motors. Consider when motors switched over from flat tappet cams or non-roller rockers. Manufacturers design new motors to the newest spec.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Older specs in some ways are better for older motors. Consider when motors switched over from flat tappet cams or non-roller rockers. Manufacturers design new motors to the newest spec.
Oh yea that makes sense, they’d have more zinc egg-said-ruh in the older stuff that’s not needed (or government mandated out) these days

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use whatever is on sale when i go to the store. Just for the heck of it. 6.0 has a little over 300,000 miles on it and its had everything from cheap 5w20 to VR1 20w50 in it.
Todays oil is much better than it use to be. Except for the old flat tappets, we used VR1 or 15w40 with additive.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a buddy who likes to use blended oil. He thinks full synthetic is bad for old roller motors as it's too slick and might not let the roller lifters roll because there is not enough friction to keep the rollers rolling. Me i dunno:shrug:

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have a buddy who likes to use blended oil. He thinks full synthetic is bad for old roller motors as it's too slick and might not let the roller lifters roll because there is not enough friction to keep the rollers rolling. Me i dunno:shrug:
He not know all the LS engines are rollers and most of them run synthetic from day 1?