oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
just curious even after rebuild, good bearings good tolerances and all that after driving for an hour my oil pressure reads close to zero, maybe 10 at steady idle when the engines warm. put an analog guage on and it still reads the same as the stock guage

sound like a problem? anyone else pressure lower once warmed at idle?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
yeah man your fine. My truck has ran like this for over 100k that I have driven it with zero oil related engine problems. I think you need 8 psi for every 1000 rpm and your idle is about 500 or less so I think your all good.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
dude it scares the piss out of me! every engine ive owned or build has had superb oil pressure like mid 20 at idle and no less than 18. this thing drop sos low it scares me, idk i freak out about that stuff.

the analog guage i just recently hooked up the stock one just gives up and drops every once and awhile. idk pet peeve glad its not just me

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just curious even after rebuild, good bearings good tolerances and all that after driving for an hour my oil pressure reads close to zero, maybe 10 at steady idle when the engines warm. put an analog guage on and it still reads the same as the stock guage

sound like a problem? anyone else pressure lower once warmed at idle?

That's low. Yes you only need 10 ~ per 1,000 rpm but something isn't right if a new engine is down in that range. My truck idles 20-40 psi hot with 110k miles

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If it jumps sharply with a little throttle, probably wouldn worry about it. If it climbs slowly or not at all, I would suggest checking oil pump clearance.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Please explain how this would cause low oil pressure. I could see it causing oil starvation issues, but if a port was partially blocked, it should not loose oil pressure. Am i missing something?