oil leak questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Wow some good replies. I was talking it over with my wife and we are at a stand-still on what to do. We are 50/50 on fixing it, leaving it and just watch the oil level as needed, and selling it to buy a newer truck. I stopped and looked at an '06 today but it had more frame rust than my 96. Ugh. What to do....
Well we got a little off track haha, but the original point is valid. 500 bucks buys a lot of oil, and there are ancillary things you could/should do "while you're in there"

If you just love the truck, fix it! Its cheaper than car payments. But just don't expect it back on resale

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we got a little off track haha, but the original point is valid. 500 bucks buys a lot of oil, and there are ancillary things you could/should do "while you're in there"

If you just love the truck, fix it! Its cheaper than car payments. But just don't expect it back on resale

I just got it this year so, while I like it, it's not been "MY" truck for a long time or anything. I needed a 4WD on the spot last year and it has filled its need, but now I just gotta decide whether to keep investing in it for the long haul, or cut ties and go a little newer. There's always a chance that you'll have to fix stuff, but if I move up to 2004-7 range, I would think I'd be a little better off.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
You're probably correct. These OBS trucks are kinda redheaded step children. More complex than square bodies, not as well sorted as NBS trucks...

If its serving its purpose though, I'd keep it. If you want/need a nicer more comfortable truck, move on before you're in too deep financially

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
In all honesty, all these trucks are money pits. We only build them because we love them. They are relatively cheap to work on mechanically, but if you start putting money in it, you can consider it gone... Re-sale is pretty terrible on them.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a 2004 silverado 4x4 with 63k miles for 15,000 at a local dealership. Was thinking about offering 12,000 cash and see what he says.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger. Got it for 13,000 out the door. Now gotta get the 96 sold to help recoup the cost!
You must be registered for see images attach