Oil leak just before the transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the back of your intake manifold really good where it meets the block and heads. If you can use a flashlight and a mirror it should be easy to see. They are notorious for leaks in this area. It will leak and come right down the bellhousing of the transmission simulating a rear main seal leak.
Ok

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last spring I went after my rear main leak that was actually the oil pan gasket leaking. I decided to pull the engine and put new bearings in while I was in there. $2500 later I put the completely rebuilt engine back in with zero oil leaks! Be careful, "as long as I'm in here......." will get you every time!

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last spring I went after my rear main leak that was actually the oil pan gasket leaking. I decided to pull the engine and put new bearings in while I was in there. $2500 later I put the completely rebuilt engine back in with zero oil leaks! Be careful, "as long as I'm in here......." will get you every time!
Let's say the engine needs some rebuilding since the gaskets and the rear main seal are bad. How much do you think it would cost?

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must have a dirt/gravel driveway.

My concrete driveway and shop floor has had so much engine oil, tans fluid, gear oil, spilled, splashed, and dripped on it a little more isn't all that noticeable. Although once or twice a year I get out my 3500psi pressure washer and clean the concrete.......:)

Although I am happy I finally got the elbow on the oil pressure sender to stop leaking after three tries on my 96 K1500.....

Unfortunately, my 96 and 97 K1500's, and my 98 G1500, all have the timing covers leaking......

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My concrete driveway and shop floor has had so much engine oil, tans fluid, gear oil, spilled, splashed, and dripped on it a little more isn't all that noticeable. Although once or twice a year I get out my 3500psi pressure washer and clean the concrete.......:)

Although I am happy I finally got the elbow on the oil pressure sender to stop leaking after three tries on my 96 K1500.....

Unfortunately, my 96 and 97 K1500's, and my 98 G1500, all have the timing covers leaking......

Same here, in the summer the driveway regularly gets blasted to clean the leaks. Hoping next summer will be a dry one for The concrete. The garage is pretty bad right now.

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here, in the summer the driveway regularly gets blasted to clean the leaks. Hoping next summer will be a dry one for The concrete. The garage is pretty bad right now.
Put some cardboard boxes underneath the front of your truck to catch the oil and your garage will stay a bit cleaner

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let's say the engine needs some rebuilding since the gaskets and the rear main seal are bad. How much do you think it would cost?
I was doing taxes this weekend and pulled all the '18 receipts for my rebuild since I use the Burb for my side job. Machine work was about $1600. Everything else I spent ended up in the $1500 range. Some of those parts probably didn't need to be changed, but as long as everything else was going in new....... To do over again, I would probably buy a Jegs engine. But, at least I know my engine was done right. The biggest advantage I see to buying vs rebuilding is downtime would have been a few weeks instead of a few months.