Oil leak just before the transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back at it again with that 96 1500 that keeps on giving me problems.
It has had a oil leak, maybe started 13 years ago. It leaks right before the transmission, is it rear main seal or is it something else

You must be registered for see images attach

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It all depends. Follow it up.. how high is the oil. Could be the oil sender leaking, which is a common thing. Could also be valve cover gaskets or oil pan gasket too. Rear main you'll "mostly" just see coming from either the starter area(from getting spun around on the flywheel), or at the little space/hole on the bottom of the transmission inspection playe and or bellhousing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
My 97 leaks some oil. Not a puddle, but a drop here and there. It's also 22 years old and has a hole on the top of the engine to pour oil into. When the 222k mile, perfectly running engine gives up the ghost, I'll fix it.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky so far, knock on wood, my '88 is bone dry front to rear.

It's hard to tell with all of the wind blowing underneath. Years ago the SBC rear main seals were notorious for leaking - almost as bad as a Harley's case (cookie sheet comes to mind), LOL. I agree with Magimerlin, trace it forward and/or upwards. Pull the inspection cover and look up. My son just bought a Snap On color bore scope that's perfect for stuff like this, maybe you can rent one?

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends. Follow it up.. how high is the oil. Could be the oil sender leaking, which is a common thing. Could also be valve cover gaskets or oil pan gasket too. Rear main you'll "mostly" just see coming from either the starter area(from getting spun around on the flywheel), or at the little space/hole on the bottom of the transmission inspection playe and or bellhousing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ok

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 leaks some oil. Not a puddle, but a drop here and there. It's also 22 years old and has a hole on the top of the engine to pour oil into. When the 222k mile, perfectly running engine gives up the ghost, I'll fix it.
This one started by leaking drops now it's puddles

96dually454

Reaction score
Check the back of your intake manifold really good where it meets the block and heads. If you can use a flashlight and a mirror it should be easy to see. They are notorious for leaks in this area. It will leak and come right down the bellhousing of the transmission simulating a rear main seal leak.