oil leak around the back of the head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone know of a product that would work for sealing up the back of the head from leaking. i would pull the head and put a new gasket in but i dont have the time atm to do i just need something to keep my truck on the road for now

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I think any Oil stop leak product would work about the same as the rest. Are you sure its leaking from the head and not the intake gasket?

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well like i said i dont have the time to pull the head. and i replaced all the intake gaskets and but a solid bead of rtv black on the front and back walls. also replaced rear main and oil sending unit. and its to high to be the oil pan gasket. so basically thats the only place i can locate it coming from. i've tryed numerous stop leak products but it only works for maybe a few days then just gets worse. i've herd of products that work like putty but can get as hard as cement made for this? i just cant find them. also i've herd high heat copper silicone works? i just need something to get me by until i have the time to fix it.

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also only leaks when theres high oil pressure. it stops leaking about 10mins after running

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check where intake & head meet.Thats probably where leak is.I wouldn't trust just using rtv.I know they say to do that,but in my opinion thats just asking for trouble.It only takes a pin hole air pocket for a leak to occur under pressure.If thats where its leaking go to napa & get some gasket material & make your own.
What you could try is degrease the back of engine,rinse it down with water & wipe down the area you think its coming from.Set E brake,chock wheels,jack up truck,use jack stands,have a buddy srart truck while your underneath,rev truck to around 2000rpms & you should be able to find leak.A lift would be alot safer & easier to use if you have access to one.this way you should know for sure where leak is .good luck

miles5241

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks! i'll have to do that. but like i said i just did the intake manifold last weekend so its got whole new gaskets and a thick layer of rtv black on the end walls. so out of process of elimination thats what it has came down too. but yea i'll degrease it and water it down and see what happens.