Oil dipstick tube reinstallation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had to remove my dipstick tube in order to install my passenger side header. Cannot get the oil dipstick tube to "seat" completely into the block/oil pan. The flare/flange is approximately 1" from contacting the block. I installed it from the top with the starter in place. What am I doing wrong?

Also, has anyone used a lokar "tubeless" dipstick. Definitely looks cleaner than the stock setup.

Thanks,
Eric

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After I installed shorty headers in my truck, I had to re locate my dip stick tube to the rear, like close to the trans dip stick. I had to re locate the bracket that is on the DS tube so it would line up with the rear spark plug wire holder bolt. I had to bend the tube a little, and once I had the bracket in place, I had to weld it on the tube. As for getting it into the hole and seating down all the way, I just put a little oil on the O ring gasket on the tube, and twisted it while pushing it down and it went into place.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought a new dipstick tube and broke that one as well while trying to install it. It seems as though the angle of entry is impossible with the header in place. Looks like I'll have to remove the header, install the oil dipstick tube & try to "thread" the header over the dipstick tube..... This truck constant fights me on everything I do.

Jason Glover

Reaction score
Bought a new dipstick tube and broke that one as well while trying to install it. It seems as though the angle of entry is impossible with the header in place. Looks like I'll have to remove the header, install the oil dipstick tube & try to "thread" the header over the dipstick tube..... This truck constant fights me on everything I do.
How did that turn out? I am in a similar situation now?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How did that turn out? I am in a similar situation now?
This is a 6 year old thread. The OP hasn't been on here since 2015. If you install headers, the original dip stick tube, will not fit where it was. It can be a PITA to get it all to line up in its new location. Also I had to put sine silicon around the DS tube to get it to seal. As mentioned I had to move the bracket for the bolt, and reweld in in a different place.

Jason Glover

Reaction score
This is a 6 year old thread. The OP hasn't been on here since 2015. If you install headers, the original dip stick tube, will not fit where it was. It can be a PITA to get it all to line up in its new location. Also I had to put sine silicon around the DS tube to get it to seal. As mentioned I had to move the bracket for the bolt, and reweld in in a different place.
I had to replace exhaust manifold gaskets, and didn’t know the dipstick tube just sorta “pops” out, and so I didn’t see where it actually goes into the block and (please don’t laugh) can’t find the hole lol where exactly is it on the block?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a boss sticking out of the engine block. Its rite about the starter. If you zoom on on this pic, you can see it just above the starter. Look at the spark plug wire, the tune that it is laying on, is the dip stick. The boss is in line with that, and if you trace the cap ( end ) of the starter back towards the engine block, you can see it.
You must be registered for see images attach