Oh no! Driveshaft!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So there I was in a story that should have started with "here, hold my beer", long story short I melted my driveshaft.

The heavy press at the base car club wasn't budging the u-joint I was replacing, so rather that bending the yoke (I've seen it many times) I decided to kill it with fire. Unfortunately I got a little too aggressive with the acetylene torch and warped the yoke so that the new bearing cap wouldn't press in(I actually broke a u-joint before I realized it had warped).

Looks like I'll have to have a new yoke welded on by a machine shop...

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the rear half of the drive shaft the same length on a crew cab long box and extended cab long box, both 2wd? If so there's a stripped '89 diesel at the auto club that has the rear half in the box.

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd grab a micrometer and measure caps then measure the rest and compare.

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Went out to the compound today, the rear half of the extended cab's drive shaft is the same as the rear half of the crew cab, saved by the luck of somebody abandoning their truck because of a move

vervepipes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, because I snapped a bearing cup before I knew the driveshaft was bent, I had to re-use an old u-joint until I can get a new one. Problem now is I slipped the rear half onto the front half at the steady bearing, and now it won't move back at all, so I can't attach the rear u-joint to the axle. I can't make the drive shaft move one direction or another at the moment. It's very discouraging to work so many hours at something and wind up a step backwards from where I started. Makes me wonder why driveshafts are engineered the way they are, in 2 peices, and not attached to each other by straps like at the axle and tranny... I'm about to consider turning it into a chain-drive truck lol

End of tired and sore induced rant