Offroad Mud/Dirt intake thread- how do you keep em clean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
I've seen all the various "Cold Air Intake" threads, but what about keeping the mud/dirt out? When I bought my truck it has a K&N FIPK already installed. It's been a battle keeping the filth outta there, between soot, mud and having hood vents!

Apart from buying a Volant or S&B or going back to stock, what do you guys do to keep the dirt outta there?

I was thinking maybe a K&N filter sock, but it'll still be open near the fender?

I did make a lid for the FIPK, it helps, but isn't fool proof
(first pic is the lid, second is the mud inside the box)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Since it does nothing whatsoever to improve performance, and in this case can actually do more harm than anything else, just ditch it. The factory setup is a double wall "cold air" intake, which pulls air from outside the engine compartment through the fender, instead of the HOT air under the hood.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
+1

Could never figure out how drawing air from the engine compartment could be considered ''cold air''.Maybe at first startup of the day and then only for a short time.Both of our burbs retain the OEM intake.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Pantyhose works as effectively as a K&N, that's what I use on my buggy that sits outside.

But they are right, going back to stock would be best.

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, alright then - I'm on the hunt for a stock intake, anybody wanna trade a K&N for one?!?! :anitoof:

-sin-

Honor the Fallen
Reaction score
I know you weren't, I've seen it used before! I'd just rather have a sealed type of unit

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I know you weren't, I've seen it used before! I'd just rather have a sealed type of unit

I just wanted to be sure lol, after I re-read what I posted, it didn't seem all that clear lol.