"ODB"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
So I slipped up and bought another clapped out chevy on an impulse. This one being a 92 k1500 long bed that I just couldn't pass up for the price. It has 350k miles on the clock and doors, but looks like it was taken care of most of its life. Sadly this one isn't really my flavor and it's looking like it was a mistake on my part.

Heres where things started going south on me. I went to look at the truck and was told it was a 3/4 ton before going to look at it. I went to go check it out and it was mostly as I expected it to be after the 1/2 ton disappointment. The next disappointment was the salvage title it has. I'm not going to gripe to much about it but it kinda hampered my plan and thought about it.

I've already got a good bit of work done on it making the truck complete with most of its odds and ends. The motor was blown when I got it and I've since removed it for tear down to see what can be saved. For now I have a l31 short block I've had saved with the tbi top side from the truck awaiting final assembly when the gaskets come in the mail.

I'm hoping by the end of the next week or so I can have the motor assembled, stuck back in and running. There is still a huge list to go through after it's running again, but I'll piece it back together with the spare parts and a few junk yard trips. It's far from a truck I wanted to get stuck with but I'll put it back to work and do what I can with it for now.

You must be registered for see images attach

Roadrunner

Reaction score
I've been slowly chipping away at getting this truck as a runner again. Parts came in so work has moved along again. In the parts order was a full gasket set and some new inner door handles. Mostly though it's been a matter of cleaning parts up and getting them ready to be freshened up.

I got the l31 short block out of the parts truck I've have had sitting for far too long and kept the heads, intake and accessories off the toasted tbi motor. The short block is all prepped out and ready for for the top end. I started cleaning it all up and tore down the heads to see what they look like. The exhaust valves on one head are pitted up pretty good but the intake valves, guides and seats look good. I'm debating on grabbing some better looking exhaust valves before I stick it all back together. I still got a mountain of crap to clean up as well as other work to do and a bit of time to figure it out.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
I ended up lapping what I could with the valves and putting the heads back together. Now I have a complete engine ready to get stuck in the truck tomorrow. I will be searching for some different heads a bit later on for sure but this should get me a runner at least for the time being.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be searching for some different heads a bit later on for sure

These are what I bought a couple years ago when they were $999 plus $100 Summit Bucks that you can use on future purchases. so I got them for $888. These are TBI heads that fit your intake and I had no issues bolting everything up. The slant plugs make it fun changing them plus you'll need insulating sleeves on the back 2 plugs on both sides.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-162108/make/chevrolet

Roadrunner

Reaction score
I got this cursed turd running today. Got the motor stabbed and most of the kinks worked out on it. There are a few things to sort out still on the motor but it runs okay for being cobbled together with spares and what I could save from the blown motor.

Seems like the electrical system needs some help and the oil pressure is lower than what I like to see, so I got to sort that out. I did at least get to take it for a joy ride so I'm pretty happy for the week.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
I've done a little bit more work to the old truck over the past couple days and found a number of other things that need to be fixed up. To start with the front end needs a good bit of work. It looks like I will be replacing the pitman arm, idler mount and idler. The transmission is also slipping a little bit in 3rd when you punch it hard, so it looks like I will be rebuilding that as well in the near future.

I've only managed a few little things over the past couple of days. Mainly I tackled the saggy door syndrome that the gmt400's all seem to have. It was a simple enough deal replacing the bushings and pins on the driver door. Although they never seem to get all the sag out I managed to get 95% of it by welding the pin with a tack where the retainer goes and the hole gets wollowed out. Lastly I grabbed up a reconditioned battery and dropped it in.

While kind of figuring on parts to get close to finished off with this one and trying to keep the budget low, I found a 1993 parts truck I'm going to see if I can grab up. Sadly it looks like the motor will be coming back out so I can keep the l31 short block for the 98 I have that got wrecked that is the current parts truck. The new parts truck should help me get this one and 3 others with many of the parts needed to get them further along and give a little more room in the budget for this one.

So as it sits now the list is ;
Finish exhaust
Tires
Front end
Pinion seal front and back axles
Arm rest pad for DD
Window motor
Turn signal stalk
Door handles with matching keys
Transmission
Motor yet again
Gauge cluster with American units

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would see if you could remove the decals on the door, or perhaps do a cheap spray paint job. If done right they don't look that bad. It would look pretty good.

Mycotroph

Reaction score
big fan of the single side marker lights and that bumper though, looks like lots of fun :hitit:

Roadrunner

Reaction score
I pulled this one into the shop today after getting some parts ready from a parts truck I bought last week. Most of the parts I have for it this time is interior related.

I started out by replacing the interior door handles with some new Chinese replacements and straightening out the handle and lock rods. While I was in the driver side door I replaced the power window motor with a spare. There is still some work to do on the drivers door panel, lock cylinder and arm rest.

Next I moved on to getting the dash cluster swapped out to one with American units and a working volt meter. The temp gauge still doesnt work and I still need to check the sensor for it. The cover and light switches were also replaced along with the cluster. That's where the interior bits ended for the day.

Lastly I did some work on the exhaust and got it all fitted to the truck. Now I need to grab a couple of clamps and drop another hanger or two and it's all wrapped up. Getting the exhaust sorted out today was a big step forward.